Garrett is a trial attorney who specializes in securities and breach of fiduciary duty litigation. He helps clients of all sizes achieve great results in venues across the nation and represents some of the largest financial, agricultural, telecommunications, manufacturing and energy companies in the world.
Garrett has won motions and trials in federal and state courts and before the American Arbitration Association, earning significant first-chair experience. He also has successfully assisted clients before the Supreme Court of Virginia and the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Garrett prides himself on getting to the bottom of all disputes, no matter the location or stakes.
Garrett’s specific experience includes:
- Successful representation of internationally known energy company in resolution of largest securities fraud case in the history of the 4th Circuit
- Defeated motion for preliminary injunction filed by food distributor in the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico against a major pork supplier. The distributor sought relief under a Puerto Rico “dealer” protectionist statute. After a full-day evidentiary hearing, the court noted in denying the motion that “the merits weigh heavily in favor of [Defendant].” The U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit later affirmed the District Court’s ruling.
- Dismissal of securities fraud complaint against telecommunications company before Southern District of New York
- Dismissals of ’34 Act complaints before Southern District of New York and Eastern District of New York
- Successful first-chair prosecution of breach-of-contract claim before American Arbitration Association and recovery of half-million dollar award for securities broker-dealer listing at arbitration hearing
- Successful second-chair prosecution of fraud action involving recovery of property worth over half-a-million dollars in Virginia state court
- Successful representation of well-known manufacturer in securities fraud litigation before Eastern District of Virginia
- Defense verdicts in first-chair bench trials for large domestic financial institutions and state entities in cases involving state and federal claims
- Representation of internationally known natural foods distribution company in multimillion-dollar fraud prosecution and settlement, with lead experience taking depositions and drafting key evidentiary and dispositive motions
- Representation of internationally known agricultural company in multiple federal jury trials in bet-the-company litigation, including direct supervision of and responsibility for pretrial workup on multiple cases.
After law school, Garrett clerked for then-Justice (now Chief Justice) Donald W. Lemons of the Supreme Court of Virginia. He also interned for then-U.S. Magistrate (now U.S. District) Judge M. Hannah Lauck of the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division, during his second year of law school.
At the University of Richmond School of Law, Garrett served as editor-in-chief of the Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business. He also placed first in the 2010 James H. Barnett Jr. Moot Court Competition, and in 2012 received the Best Oralist Award at the William B. Spong Moot Court Competition, held at William & Mary Law School. Garrett was a member of the McNeill Law Society and after graduation was inducted into the Order of the Coif.
Garrett served on the executive committee of the John Marshall Inn of Court and is a member of James Madison University’s Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication Alumni Council.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Securities, 2022, 2023, 2024
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Securities Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2019-2022
- Hon. Donald W. Lemons, Supreme Court of Virginia, 2012-2013
University of Richmond School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Order of the Barristers, Editor-in-Chief, Richmond Journal of Global Law & Business2012
James Madison UniversityBAPolitical Science
Member, Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication Alumni Council, James Madison University
Member, Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Author, 4th Circuit Case Alleging Misled Shareholders Offers Legal Boost for Merger-Interested Corporations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 7, 2023
- Author, SEC Releases Proposed New Rules on Climate-Related Disclosures, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 5, 2022
- Author, In Securities Fraud Cases, “Generic” Statements May Demonstrate Lack of Price Impact at Class Certification, Class Action Countermeasures, June 23, 2021