Jim focuses his practice on structuring, negotiating, and documenting secured and unsecured domestic and international syndicated credit facilities.
He has extensive experience in representing financial institutions in complex syndicated credit financings, including multicurrency and cross-border financings, first lien and second lien financings, and acquisition financings by private equity groups. He has served as counsel to the administrative agent and lead arranger in syndicated credit facilities ranging in size from $50 million to more than $1 billion extended to companies and institutions in the healthcare, insurance, restaurant, technology, industrial, and other sectors.
He has written and lectured on numerous capital markets topics, such as first lien and second lien financing transactions and advanced topics in syndicated credit financing transactions. Jim was a recipient of a Merit Scholarship at Duke University School of Law.
- Representation of the administrative agent and lead arranger in a senior secured multicurrency/cross-border credit facility to an international provider of commercial roofing products, residential roofing products and complementary building products.
- Representation of the administrative agent and lead arranger in a senior secured first lien and second lien credit facility in connection with the acquisition by a private equity group of a wholesale insurance company.
- Representation of the administrative agent and lead arranger to a leading provider of lifestyle management, endpoint security and information technology services management owned by a private equity group to refinance certain existing indebtedness and to acquire a leading provider of mission critical mobility management solutions.
- Representation of the administrative agent and lead arranger to a television broadcasting company to refinance certain existing indebtedness and to finance the sidecar credit facilities in connection with the acquisition of additional television stations.
- Representation of the administrative agent and lead arranger in a senior unsecured credit facility to one of the world’s largest diversified media companies.
- Duke University School of LawJD1994
The University of North Carolina at Chapel HillBAPolitical Science
with Highest Honors and Highest Distinction1991
Member, Business Law Section; Syndicated Bank Financing Subcommittee, American Bar Association
Member, Business Law Section, North Carolina Bar Association
Advisory Board, Center for Banking and Finance, The University of North Carolina School of Law
Advisory Board, Johnston Center for Undergraduate Excellence, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Youth Basketball Coach, YMCA
- Presenter, "Current Markets Developments in Syndicated Finance - Back to the Future", The Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys, October 2009
- North Carolina
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2009-2012, 2014-2024
Selected for inclusion into the North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2020