Nick Hoffman is a trial attorney who handles high-stakes civil litigation. Nick has a national practice that encompasses a wide range of areas, including commercial litigation, product liability, intellectual property, unfair competition, media, entertainment, and business torts.
Nick has been named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine for each of the past five years (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022). His legal accomplishments include trial victories in both state and federal courts, an appellate win as lead counsel in the California Court of Appeal, and a precedential decision before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Nick is a graduate of UCLA School of Law, where he was an articles editor for the UCLA Journal of Law and Technology. Prior to law school, he earned a B.S. in Biochemistry from UCLA and worked at a biotechnology company developing screening tests for HIV and HPV.
Due to his technical background, Nick is often called upon to handle his clients’ most complex and challenging disputes. Nick regularly defends some of the nation’s largest companies (including multiple Fortune 100 companies) in lawsuits across the country. Nick’s practice also extends to high-stakes matters involving state attorney generals, including the California Attorney General.
Nick further represents high-profile individuals, including executives, shareholders, artists, writers, musicians, actors and actresses, filmmakers, athletes, and others, in significant disputes.
Nick’s cases have been reported on by the Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Daily Journal, Law360, and Thomson Reuters, among other publications.
In the community, Nick volunteers with Bet Tzedek Legal Services, helping Los Angeles families to secure care for those with physical, developmental, or intellectual disabilities.
Commercial Litigation & Intellectual Property
- Cal Agri Products, LLC v. Steckler (Cal. Sup./Cal. App.): Prevailed in a month-long trial, winning clients a multimillion-dollar judgment, complete ownership of the patents-in-suit, and permanent injunction. Then, successfully upheld the judgment on appeal.
- Beats Electronics v. Monster LLC (Cal. Sup.): In a royalties dispute, won summary adjudication of crossclaims entitling client to over $31 million.
- Lisa Frank, Inc. v. The Orb Factory (D. Ariz.): Trial counsel for children’s brand in a copyright and trade dress infringement action involving toys and crafts.
- BLP v. Capital One (Cal. Sup.): On behalf of a financial company, obtained complete dismissal of defamation and contractual interference claims.
- Vans v. Walmart (C.D. Cal.): On behalf of footwear company, won preliminary injunction to stop sales of over two dozen knockoff shoes sold by Walmart. (ongoing)
- Branded, LLC v. Vans, Inc. (C.D. Cal.): On behalf of footwear company, won motion to stay trademark infringement lawsuit to preserve summary judgment wins in TTAB.
- Kleven v. Hereford (C.D. Cal.): Prevailed in federal bench trial involving the rights to the Rin Tin Tin film franchise. Earned cancellation of nine registered trademarks on the grounds of fraud and abandonment.
- DC Comics v. Mad Engine, Inc. (C.D. Cal.): On behalf of an apparel company, obtained dismissal of a copyright and trademark infringement action brought by DC Comics and Warner Bros. Entertainment.
- Wray v. AMF Bowling Centers Inc. (Cal. Sup.): Obtained dismissal of misappropriation of name and likeness claims filed by a model.
- Warhol v. Goldsmith (amicus) (Supreme Court 2022): Filed amicus on behalf of art professor in seminal copyright/fair use case.
Product Liability, Mass Tort & Class Action Litigation
- In re Olympus America Duodenoscope Cases (Cal. JCCP No. 4885): Represented a medical device manufacturer as national trial counsel in dozens of coordinated product liability actions relating to a complex medical device.
- In re: Juul Labs, Inc. Marketing, Sales Practices & Products Liability Litigation (MDL): Represented a company founder in multidistrict litigation encompassing thousands of cases relating to an ENDS product. Cases involved product liability lawsuits, RICO actions, and consumer-fraud class actions.
- Real Water Cases (Nev. Dt. Ct.): Represents a natural foods distributor and grocery store in coordinated claims involving an alleged outbreak of acute non-viral hepatitis. (ongoing)
- Montes De Oca v. Olympus America Inc. (Cal. Sup. 2022): Won summary judgment as lead counsel for a medical device company in a product liability lawsuit.
- Nazari v. Walter Kidde Portable Equipment Inc. (Cal. Sup. 2022): Won summary judgment of product liability claims filed against a smoke alarm manufacturer.
- Modi v. Boeing (N.D. Cal. 2022): Obtained dismissal of product liability claims filed against a multinational airplane manufacturer.
- Kurhanewicz v. Whole Foods (Cal. Sup. 2022): Obtained dismissal of product liability claims filed against national grocery company.
- Melville v. Olympus America Inc. (Cal. Sup.): Defended medical device company against product liability claims involving an airway fire.
- Bartee v. Jack Jones Trucking, Inc. (Cal. Sup.): Trial counsel in month-long wrongful death jury trial that ended in a successful verdict.
- Hernandez v. Crown Equipment Corporation (Cal. Sup.): Defended lift truck manufacturer from product liability claims relating to a forklift.
- People of the State of California v. Juul Labs, Inc., et al. (Cal. Sup.): Represented inventor of ENDS product in state enforcement action brought by California Attorney General.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Speaker, "Blurred Lines – Is it Copyright Infringement or Fair Use? You Decide", International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Midyear Meeting, February 22, 2023
- Speaker, Discovery Planning: Establishing a Strong Case Foundation in HIPAA Compliance, May 5, 2021
- University of California Los Angeles School of LawJD2011
- University of California Los AngelesBSBiochemistry2008
Named to “Southern California Rising Stars,” Intellectual Property Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2018-2023
- Author, Date of Delivery, Not Sale: California Imposes New Requirement for Consumer Products Warranties, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 17, 2023
- Co-author, "What 9th Circ.’s Tinder Ruling Means For Class Settlements", Law360, September 8, 2021
- Contributing Author, “Chapter 10: Discovery Planning", Infectious Disease Litigation: Science, Law & Procedure, February 2021
- Author, To Win Punitive Damages for Pervasive Conduct in California, Plaintiff Must Specify Wrongdoer, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 3, 2021