Emily uses the skills developed during her clerkship in the Eastern District of Virginia, combined with her experience on Capitol Hill, to serve clients in connection with government investigations and white collar defense.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Emily served as a law clerk to the Honorable Claude M. Hilton of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. During law school, she was a legal intern to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia and a student attorney for the Virginia Capital Case Clearinghouse.
Emily also has a practical knowledge of the congressional process. Prior to law school, Emily was a legislative aide to the former chairman of the House Rules Committee, Congressman Pete Sessions. In this position, she gained extensive insight into congressional procedures, while primarily focusing her legislative work on healthcare policy. Emily also served as a law clerk to the Senate Judiciary Committee staff of Senator John Cornyn, where she assisted in committee investigations of wide-ranging topics, from federal law enforcement priorities to competition law.
- District of Columbia
- Author, New DOJ Guidance on Corporate Criminal Enforcement, Subject to Inquiry, September 16, 2022
- Author, Theranos’ Elizabeth Holmes Found Guilty of Making False Representations to Investors, Subject to Inquiry, January 10, 2022
- Author, SEC Speaks 2021: New Enforcement Director Resolves to Restore Public Trust, Empower Staff, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 25, 2021
- Author, Gleanings From DOJ’s 2021 Healthcare Takedown Announcement, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 6, 2021
Washington and Lee University School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Production Editor, Journal for Civil Rights and Social Justice2020
- Southern Methodist UniversityBAChemistry and Psychology, minors in Biology and Mathematics2013
Recipient, Criminal Law Award, Washington and Lee University School of Law, 2020
- Hon. Claude M. Hilton, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2020-2021