Kristen’s practice focuses on public finance transactions.
She has served as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, bank counsel, and borrower’s counsel for a variety of tax-exempt transactions, including multifamily housing revenue bonds, 501(c)(3) bonds for colleges, universities, schools, including charter schools, and other nonprofits, private activity bonds, and industrial development bonds.
She has also served as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, and disclosure counsel in connection with traditional governmental financings for cities and counties. Kristen has experience with tax credit bonds, including qualified school construction bonds and qualified energy conservation bonds.
- Bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel in privately placed and publicly offered limited obligation, general obligation and revenue bond financings, qualified school construction bonds and qualified energy conservation bonds
- Bond counsel to North Carolina local authorities in connection with multifamily housing revenue bonds (often combined with 4% tax credits) and industrial development bonds
- Bond counsel and borrower’s counsel for numerous 501(c)(3) organizations, including private and charter schools, universities and hospitals in both private placement and public sale issues
- Counsel to lenders and borrowers in connection with new markets tax credit transactions
Wake Forest UniversityMBA
Wake Forest University School of LawJD
cum laude, Managing Editor, Intellectual Property Law Journal2009
- Duke UniversityBS2005
National Association of Bond Lawyers
North Carolina Women in Public Finance, Steering Committee, 2016-present
North Carolina Women’s Affordable Housing Network, Member, 2020-present
North Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Chair, 2020-2021; Chair-Elect, 2019-2020; Secretary, 2018-2019; Administrative Division Director, 2017-2018; Pro Bono Division Director, 2014-2017; Chair of Wills for Heroes Committee, 2012-2014
North Carolina Bar Association Board of Governors, Executive Committee, 2020-2021
North Carolina Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2020-2021; Endowment Committee, 2019-2020
- Speaker, "Financing Charter Schools in North Carolina — Issues and Opportunities", 16th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, October - November 2018
- North Carolina
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022, 2023, 2024
Named to “Legal Elite,” Young Guns (Lawyers Under 40), Business North Carolina, 2020, 2021, 2023
- Author, N.C. General Assembly Amends Ballot Question for 2024 Bond Referenda and Beyond, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 9, 2023
- Author, White House Announces Steps to Increase Affordable Housing Supply, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 2, 2021
- Author, IRS Clarifies Acceptable Tenant Preferences for Affordable Multifamily Housing Bonds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 8, 2019
- Author, Proposed Securities Rule Changes for Municipal Issues Focus on Bank Loans, Other Private Placements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 30, 2017