Sam focuses his practice on advising clients on environmental regulatory and compliance matters, including water and air pollution, solid and hazardous waste, and federal and state environmental permitting.
Sam has guided public and private companies as they assess compliance with environmental laws across a variety of regulatory schemes under the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and Toxic Substances Control Act. He also has assisted clients in responding to government investigations of regulatory compliance and related enforcement issues.
Sam regularly partners with clients to develop plans for clean-up and redevelopment of contaminated properties, and assists clients with environmental considerations in transactional matters.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Sam practiced environmental litigation and toxic tort defense at a regional law firm in Louisiana, where he represented energy production and transportation companies in a variety of complex environmental litigation and general litigation matters.
- Assisted multiple clients in obtaining and modifying applicable permits relating to environmental media, including Title V air permits and NPDES wastewater and stormwater discharge permits.
- Advised client respecting federal criminal investigation of potential Clean Air Act violations arising from industrial accident.
- Advised manufacturer on response to safety and environmental compliance investigations and notices of violation.
- Advised energy production company regarding restructuring of energy assets and decommissioning of multiple power plants.
- Advised client regarding management of coal ash under state and federal laws and regulations.
- Advised industrial client on management and proper disposal of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) present in building materials.
- Conducted time-sensitive internal investigation of anonymous complaint regarding alleged environmental violations at client manufacturing facility.
- Advised commercial developers on acquisition, financing, and redevelopment of contaminated properties, and securing agreements limiting liability at contaminated development sites.
- Advised client and negotiated with state to obtain resolution of regulatory action arising from historical underground storage tank release.
- Advised national banking client on environmental considerations in new product trials.
- Represented oil and natural gas producers in lawsuits involving alleged property damage and remediation issues related to historical oil and gas production, including groundwater contamination, wetlands loss, NORM, and surface contamination.
- Represented energy companies in lawsuits alleging violation of coastal use permits and associated coastal use regulations.
- Represented energy companies in litigation over disputed mineral rights and royalties.
Louisiana State UniversityJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif2013
- Appalachian State UniversityBS2009
Member, North Carolina State Bar
Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Author, State Environmental Enforcement Policies During COVID-19 and Response to EPA “Discretion” Policy, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 2, 2020
- Author, What to Expect in Environmental Regulation for 2019, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 4, 2019
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Environmental Law, 2023, 2024