Daniel is an associate with the Labor and Employment group with experience in labor and employment counseling and litigation, in the areas of management-side employment and education law. He assists businesses and educational institutions in a variety of employment and regulatory compliance matters.
Daniel regularly represents businesses, higher education institutions and K-12 public and private school boards in navigating employment and regulatory compliance issues. Daniel assists employers in handling claims under Title VII, Title IX and other federal and state discrimination laws (including the ADA, the ADEA, and state laws) in front of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Education, and other state and federal agencies.
Daniel is committed to his diverse pro bono practice, in which he has assisted clients with attaining/retaining legal business immigrant, non-immigrant and asylum status and acquiring Social Security disability benefits. Daniel is also active in his community, and has served as a tennis coach in the Virginia Special Olympics. Daniel also serves as a mentor with the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) for law students to help foster inclusivity in the profession. Daniel is a member of the Labor & Employment section of the Fairfax Bar Association.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Daniel served as a judicial intern to Hon. Gerald Bruce Lee (Ret.) of the Eastern District of Virginia.
At George Mason School of Law, Daniel was a member of the George Mason Law Review, and Moot Court team. He was also a recipient of the 2018 George Mason University “Marketplace of Ideas” Award Recipient for Passion in Advocacy, and 2017 George Mason Law Review Arthur Schmalz Award for the Best Student Write-On Submission.
- Represented corporations and universities in proceedings before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Represented school boards in proceedings before the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), and Virginia Department of Education (VDOE).
- Prepared numerous memoranda of law for submission to courts, including dispositive motions.
Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason UniversityJD
cum laude, Member, George Mason Law Review2018
University of VirginiaBAPolitical Philosophy, Policy and Law
Named to “Pro Bono Service Honor Roll,” Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2022
- Author, All Employers Must Use Revised Form I-9, Starting Nov. 1, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 31, 2023
- Author, Sovereign Immunity Available in Virginia Human Rights Act Cases, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 4, 2023
- Author, Virginia Court Holds School Board Immune Virginia Human Rights Act Claims, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 27, 2023
- Author, U.S. Supreme Court to Decide Whether School Board Members May Block Parents on Social Media, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 24, 2023
- Author, Evolving Legal Framework Regarding Transgender Students, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 12, 2023
- Author, Education Department to Hold Owners, Individuals, Board Members Liable for Higher Education Institutions, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 2, 2023
- Author, U.S. Department of Education Signals Support of Diversity and Inclusion Training, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 2, 2023
- Author, Recent Court Opinions Suggest Independent Schools May Be Subject to Title IX, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 10, 2022
- Author, Virginia Revokes COVID-19 Safety Regulations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2022
- Author, Decision on Race-Based Admissions in K-12 May Serve as National Guide, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 4, 2022
- Author, Title IX Updates: From Court Decisions to Q&As From the Office for Civil Rights, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 31, 2021
- Author, More Changes to College Athlete Compensation, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 1, 2021
- Author, Changes Ahead for College Sports, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 28, 2021
- Author, DOL Withdraws January 2021 Trump Administration Independent Contractor Test, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 6, 2021
- Author, Biden Administration Orders $15 Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 28, 2021
- Author, New Laws and the 2021 Cannabis Effect on Employers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 19, 2021
- Author, New D.C. Law Requires Employers to Adopt COVID-19 Safety Policies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 17, 2020
- Author, New D.C. Law Requires Employee Transportation Benefit to Reduce Private-Vehicle Commuting, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 20, 2020
- Author, D.C. Will Require Paid Leave and Excused Absences for Voters, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 14, 2020
- Author, Labor Department Issues Guidance on Calculating FLSA “Regular Rate”, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 10, 2020
- Contributing author, "Employee Privacy by Design: Guidance for Employers Beginning to Comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act", Information Governance World, Fall 2019
- Author, "10 Labor and Employment Considerations in Esports", Law360, June 6, 2019
- Author, The Unconscious Discrimination Paradox: How Expanding Title VII to Incorporate Implicit Bias Cannot Solve the Issues Posed by Unconscious Discrimination, 25 Geo. Mason L. Rev. 246, 2017
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Speaker, "Evolving Legal Framework Regarding Transgender Students", National School Board Association, August 9, 2023
- Instructor, "Constitutional and Statutory Issues in K-12", Virginia CLE, August 8, 2023
- Panelist, "Managing Legal Compliance Risks with Hybrid and Remote Employees", NACUA, June 29, 2023
- Speaker, K-12 Employment Issues, March 15, 2023
- Speaker, Western Virginia Public Education Consortium 5th Annual School Administrator Hot Topics Conference, June 21, 2022
- Speaker, Virginia Workplace Marijuana Laws and Navigating Human Rights Policy Changes, Webinar, September 17, 2021