Brent McKnight focuses his practice on trial and appellate litigation, including commercial and product liability litigation. Brent draws on his experience as a law clerk for federal judges in both trial and appellate courts to represent clients in high-stakes matters.
Before joining McGuireWoods, Brent served as a law clerk to the Honorable Allison J. Rushing of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the Honorable James C. Dever III of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. While a student at Duke University School of Law, Brent interned with the Honorable Paul M. Newby of the North Carolina Supreme Court.
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- Author, Keeping Secrets: The Unsettled Law of Judge-Made Exceptions to Grand Jury Secrecy, 70 Duke L.J. 451, 2020
Duke University School of LawJD
summa cum laude, Order of the Coif; Executive Editor, Duke Law Journal; Symposium Issue Executive Editor, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy2021
The University of North Carolina at Chapel HillBAHistory (with Honors) and Global Studies; Minor in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics
Phi Beta Kappa2016
Recipient, Graduation Award for Writing, Duke University School of Law, 2021
Morehead-Cain Scholar, Morehead-Cain Foundation, 2012-2016
- Hon. Allison Jones Rushing, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 2022-2023
- Hon. James C. Dever III, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 2021-2022