Joe concentrates his practice on defending manufacturers and distributors in product liability claims in state and federal courts.
He also represents businesses and institutions in other complex litigation, including toxic torts, professional malpractice claims, contract disputes and employment matters. Joe has represented clients at every stage of litigation, in binding arbitration and at mediation. He also has extensive experience advising clients on the preservation, collection, review and production of electronically stored information in document-intensive litigation.
In addition to his traditional litigation work, Joe advises clients on various risk management strategies, particularly those related to labeling, warnings and instructions for consumer and industrial products.
Joe serves on the national litigation team for a leading German power tool manufacturer. He also has served as litigation counsel to German businesses in the pharmaceutical, engineering and insurance industries.
- Defended product manufacturers and distributors in claims for personal injury and property damage in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
- Serves on the national litigation team for a leading power tool manufacturer.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a property owner facing personal injury claims by former tenants who alleged toxic mold exposure.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of banking industry clients facing breach of contract, fraud, conversion and other claims related to allegations of wrongful foreclosure.
- Defended a construction project owner against a general contractor’s delay and nonpayment claims; prosecuted a counterclaim for breach of contract and obtained a favorable settlement.
- Managed the review and production of millions of pages of documents on behalf of a German pharmaceutical company in connection with multidistrict litigation.
- Defended an American executive in a breach-of-contract action brought by his German employer; prosecuted a counterclaim and obtained favorable settlement in mediation.
- Defended a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer against thousands of personal injury claims pending in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Represented a major insurance company in multidistrict litigation related to the national recall of pet food imported from China.
- Served as Virginia counsel for a leading medical equipment manufacturer for defense of personal injury claims.
- Served as Virginia counsel for a leading real estate investment trust for defense of toxic mold claims.
University of Richmond School of LawJD
magna cum laude2005
Randolph-Macon CollegeBAPolitical Science and Philosophy
summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa2000
Member, Legal Aid Justice Center Pro Bono Housing Project, 2012-present
Member, Board of Directors, The Read Center, 2006-2008
- Author, The Long and Short of It: Changes Proposed to Prop 65 Safe Harbor Warning Requirements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 12, 2021
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2012-2013, 2016-2018
- Speaker, "Law of Construction Defects and Failures", HalfMoon Seminars, 2012