Darren’s practice focuses primarily on government investigations and white collar crime, accountant defense, securities litigation and enforcement, and complex commercial litigation. Darren has defended clients in numerous enforcement actions by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, and the Department of Justice, among others.
Darren also has extensive experience assisting clients with internal investigations and complex civil and criminal disputes.
- Representation of the court-appointed receiver of a private company in a matter arising from a complaint by the Securities and Exchange Commission alleging a $600 million Ponzi and Pyramid Scheme with more than a million potential claimants (2012).
- Representation of the former president of a prominent defense contractor in a multiple-count federal criminal indictment.
- Representation of an international accounting firm in class action litigation involving subprime mortgages and other depressed assets.
- Representation of a prominent financial institution in class action litigation surrounding the Enron scandal.
- Representation of major financial institutions in litigation and compliance regarding foreclosure issues.
- Representation of financial institutions and corporations in connection with responding to federal and state subpoenas.
- Representation of corporations and individuals involved in SEC and DOJ investigations.
- Representation of prominent financial institutions and accounting firms in matters of state and federal government investigations and compliance.
- Representation of a for-profit college under investigation by state and federal agencies.
- Pro Bono representation of veterans involved in appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
The University of North Carolina School of LawJD
with Honors, Editor in Chief, North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation2004
- University of OregonBA1993
- Speaker, Raleigh ACC Chapter: FCPA Compliance in an Era of Increased Enforcement, January 18, 2012
- Speaker, SEC Reporting & Enforcement Update, November 11, 2009
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- Author, CFPB Obtains Injunction Against World Law Group, Subject to Inquiry, September 29, 2015
- Author, CFPB Fines Military Allotment Processor $3.1 Million, Subject to Inquiry, April 28, 2015
- Author, CFPB Targets PayPal’s Consumer Lending Service, Subject to Inquiry, April 21, 2015
- Author, CFPB Proposes New Rule Expanding Oversight to NonBank Auto Finance Companies, Subject to Inquiry, September 26, 2014