Jason focuses his practice on federal and state procurement, government technology, bid protests and government contract disputes, and regulatory compliance. He utilizes experience in state government, government technology, and complex procurement to solve problems in innovative and efficient ways.
Jason joined McGuireWoods from the Pennsylvania Governor’s Office of General Counsel where he represented the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in complex and high profile procurement solicitations. He was a trusted advisor for government decision–makers on matters of solicitation development, private sector engagement, small business and small diverse business participation, and contract dispute resolution. He leveraged his experience with IT systems, integration, and procurement to successfully negotiate complex strategically sourced IT contracts. Jason was utilized as a key recourse for software procurement, relying on his understanding of the challenges that government agencies face surrounding data privacy and data security.
Before attending Notre Dame Law School, Jason worked at an online reverse auction services provider for state, local, and federal government clients, where he managed a team that conducted market research for procurement solicitations and the reverse auction process. In this role, he also was responsible for resolving issues arising under the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), and the terms of Governmentwide Acquisition Contracts (GWACs) including NASA SEWP V and NIH CIO-SP3.
- Successfully defended a major government contractor in connection with parallel DOJ and OIG, civil and criminal False Claims Act investigations of alleged misconduct related to environmental remediation work on a Superfund site.
- Ongoing representation of a major telecommunications provider in a mandatory disclosure to GSA OIG related to cybersecurity concerns within an information system that is accredited at the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) High impact level.
- Negotiated contract terms and conditions on a complex IT procurement valued at more than $50 million for a customized state lottery solution.
- Negotiated contract terms and conditions on a state government procurement for a wireless infrastructure management project that resulted in a contract for the state that is estimated to generate over $100 million dollars in revenue from underutilized assets.
- Negotiated numerous agency level software licensing agreements for software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and on-premises software solutions with IT VARs and software manufacturers.
- Represented multiple private equity firms in connection with their due diligence of government contractors in support of an acquisition.
- Ongoing representation of a major telecommunications provider in connection with a civil investigative demand related to the alleged misuse of CARES Act funding.
- Negotiated a government-wide software services agreement for a cloud based software solution that included reaching an agreement on a limitation of liability provision for data breach and data loss.
- Successfully represented a state government agency during a protest involving a multimillion-dollar strategic source contract and assisted in drafting the agency’s response during the resulting administrative adjudication.
- Successfully represented an IT government contractor at the GAO in connection with a pre-award bid-protest related to the solicitation requirements.
- Ongoing representation of a state government agency in connection with planned transportation public-private partnerships, including for broadband expansion and the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Formula Program (NEVI) requirements.
- Represented a real-time geospatial intelligence provider in connection with drafting software end user licensing agreements (EULAs) and distributor agreements related to domestic and U.S. allied foreign defense and national security government contracts for commercial and defense satellite imagery.
- Successfully represented an IT government contractor in connection with a certified claim to the United States Secret Service, which resulted in the payment of a settlement by the agency.
- Successfully represented a state government agency in resolving a dispute with a large public research university regarding the reimbursable costs for subrecipients by the subawardee “pass-through entity” on federal grants governed by 2 CFR 200, Uniform Guidance.
- Represented a state government agency in its response to an Office of Inspector General investigation report resulting from the investigation of a $400 million construction project.
- Represented a state government agency in its response to a Department of Auditor General audit of contract solicitation and compliance procedures related to an $800 million public safety telecommunications system contract.
- Represented a law enforcement agency in the acquisition of telecommunications infrastructure and a Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) compliant cloud based software solution.
- Represented a state government agency in the solicitation of a statewide voting systems contract that is used by local governmental units for cooperative purchasing.
- Counseled multiple state government agencies on the administrative requirements to utilize GSA Schedule contracts for cooperative purchasing.
- Managed a market research team that conducted reverse auctions for the procurement of medical and dental equipment for the Department of Defense and other federal agencies.
Notre Dame Law SchoolJD
cum laude, Dean’s Honor Roll2018
George Mason UniversityBA
cum laude, Dean’s List2014
Chair, Public Contract Law Committee, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (YLD)
YLD Liaison, American Bar Association Section of Public Contract Law
Vice-Chair, Debarment & Suspension, American Bar Association Section of Public Contract Law
Vice-Chair, Mergers and Acquisitions, American Bar Association Section of Public Contract Law
Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia (HBA-DC)
Pennsylvania Bar Association Minority Bar Committee
Pennsylvania Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Author, Preparing for an Impending Government Shutdown: Legal Hurdles for Federal Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 28, 2023
- Author, OMB Issues Final Guidance for Build America, Buy America Requirements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 18, 2023
- Author, U.S. Supreme Court Clarifies DOJ’s Authority to Dismiss Whistleblowers’ False Claims Act Suits, Questions Constitutionality of Qui Tam Provisions, The FCA Insider, July 24, 2023
- Author, DHS Issues Final Rule Regulating Federal Contractors’ Handling of Controlled Unclassified Information, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 19, 2023
- Author, Navigating the Debt Ceiling: Legal Issues for Federal Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 26, 2023
- Author, Government Contractor Vaccine Mandate Remains Paused, Pending Guidance, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 21, 2022
- Author, DOJ and Aerojet Settle for $9 Million in Qui Tam Cybersecurity False Claims Act Case, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 14, 2022
- Author, Federal “Ban the Box” Regulations Proposed, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 2, 2022
- Author, Largest-Ever Small-Business Contracting Fraud Settlement Related to Pass-Through Subcontracting, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 28, 2022
- Author, DOJ Settles First False Claims Act Enforcement Action Since Launch of Civil Cyber-Fraud Initiative, Subject to Inquiry, March 10, 2022
- Author, Biden Administration Amends “Buy American” Rules to Increase Domestic Content Requirements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 10, 2022
- Author, Federal Fair Chance Act Will Soon Require Federal Contractors to “Ban the Box”, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 15, 2021
- Author, CMMC 2.0: Department of Defense Revamps Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification Program, Subject to Inquiry, November 19, 2021
- Author, Department of Justice Announces Increased FCA Enforcement Through New Civil Cyber-Fraud Initiative, Subject to Inquiry, October 12, 2021
- Author, President Biden Announces Findings of Critical Supply Chain Assessment, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 15, 2021
- Author, Biden Administration Orders Improvements to Cybersecurity and Federal Networks Amid Cyberattacks, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 20, 2021
- Author, Biden Administration Orders $15 Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 28, 2021
- Author, NSCAI Recommends $40 Billion Investment in Artificial Intelligence, R&D and Innovation, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 15, 2021
- Author, U.S. Supreme Court Declines to Clarify False Claims Act Falsity Standard, Subject to Inquiry, March 8, 2021
- Author, Biden Administration Orders Comprehensive Review of U.S. Supply Chain, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 1, 2021
- Author, The DFARS Rule on Covered Telecommunications Equipment or Services Is Final, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 1, 2021
- Author, Biden Administration to Strengthen “Buy American” Rules, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 26, 2021
- Author, Ready or Not … Government Contractor Cybersecurity Requirements Roll Out This Month, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 9, 2020
- Author, Updated FAR Clause Expands Ban on Federal Contractor Use of Certain Chinese Telecom Equipment and Services, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 22, 2020
- Author, 3rd Circuit Case of First Impression Clarifies Lower Threshold for FCA Actions, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 6, 2020
- Author, DoD Unveils New Cybersecurity Requirements for Defense Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 18, 2020
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Presenter, "Negotiating Terms & Conditions When Utilizing Cooperative Purchasing", 2019 Pennsylvania Procurement Expo, September 2019
- Presenter, "Attaining Best Value When Cooperative Purchasing", 2019 Pennsylvania Procurement Expo, September 2019