Scott is a partner in the firm’s M&A and Corporate Transactions Department, and is the former Chair of the M&A Department (2013-2018), and former member of the Board of Partners and Associates Committee. Scott practices in the corporate, transactional and securities areas, and has experience representing both private and public companies, private equity funds and independent sponsors with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, bank financings, board and governance matters, corporate investigations and employee severance matters.
Scott has handled transactional matters in a wide array of industries, both in the United States as well as cross-border, including healthcare, pharmaceutical and pharma products, industrial, manufacturing, defense, aerospace, consumer products, autonomous and connected vehicles, and emerging technologies. Scott also leads the firm’s efforts in the autonomous and connected vehicles space.
Scott has also represented companies and boards with respect to internal investigations covering a wide array of matters as well as with respect to complex separation agreements with corporate officers and employees.
As a result of Scott’s service as general counsel to several Fortune 500 companies, he has an appreciation for the issues that both public and private companies face, and continues to serve as a general counsel for many of his clients.
- Representation of Teledyne Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: TDY), a leading provider of sophisticated electronic components, instruments and communications products, in its $8 billion acquisition of FLIR Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: FLIR), a world-leading industrial technology company focused on intelligent sensing solutions for defense and industrial applications.
- Representation of an on-demand transportation company in connection with a $200 million investment by one of the automotive industry’s top-tier component manufacturers to develop self-driving car technology.
- Representing Teledyne Technologies Incorporated in its $171 million merger with Bolt Technology Corporation
- Lead lawyer for General Nutrition Company (NYSE:GNC) for securities and mergers and acquisition activities.
- Acting general counsel for $3 billion revenue NASDAQ-listed company.
- Lead lawyer representing Esmark Incorporated (NASDAQ:ESMK) against a hostile takeover attempt and ultimate sale valued at $1.2 billion.
- Lead lawyer in hostile proxy contest to elect an entire slate of 11 directors to the board of Wheeling Pittsburgh Corporation (NASDAQ:WPSC).
- Lead lawyer for Teledyne Technologies (NYSE:TDY) in various transactions valued at more than $1 billion.
- Lead lawyer for a Carlyle Group portfolio company in various acquisitions.
- Lead lawyer for Carlyle Group in sale of its Water Pik companies.
- Lead lawyer for Pittsburgh-based bank in its acquisition of another financial institution.
- Representation of management team of pool product company in its $300 million recapitalization.
- Representation of companies in transactions in Japan, Singapore, United Kingdom, Germany, France and Canada.
- Regularly advise reporting companies regarding regulatory obligations including compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley Act and related matters.
- Representation of numerous issuers in their sales of equity and debt securities in both public and private offerings.
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2018-2024; International Mergers and Acquisitions, 2023, 2024, Woodward/White, Inc.,
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” M&A Middle Market, Legal 500 US, 2016-2018
Selected for inclusion in “Client Service All Stars,” Mergers and Acquisitions, BTI Consulting Group, 2013
University of Pittsburgh School of LawJD
cum laude, Order of the Coif1991
Duquesne UniversityMSPharmacology and Toxicology
magna cum laude1988
University of PittsburghBSChemistry
magna cum laude1986
Member, Board of Directors, Pittsburgh Opera, 2010-2016
Member, Board of Visitors, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
Member, American Society of Corporate Secretaries
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Author, Delaware Bars Fee-Shifting Bylaws Provisions but Allows Delaware Forum Selection Clauses in Intracorporate Litigation, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 26, 2015
- Author, Advertised Private Placements Under Rule 506(c): Current Status, Public Comment on Proposed Investor Protections, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 12, 2014
- Author, Will Regulation A+ Make the Grade? Explanation of Comments Received by the SEC, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 21, 2014