Phyllis is a recognized transactional lawyer with significant experience in finance, financial restructurings, mergers and acquisitions and other corporate matters. She routinely handles secured lending transactions, debt restructuring and complex intercreditor arrangements.
Phyllis brings a keen awareness of market terms and a solution-oriented mindset to her work. She considers legal issues from a commercial perspective and is highly sensitive to the business demands and opportunities that her clients face.
Phyllis’ clients include public and private companies, borrowers, energy companies, funds, investors and commercial banks. She has particular experience in the energy industry having served as outside general counsel to clients in the oil refining and drilling sectors, as well as the steel distribution industry.
- Established a new investment structured as a debt facility for a leading capital management firm to finance a natural resources company and structured the related equity kicker. The structure of the investment was bespoke, based on specific company considerations and market terms.
- Represented an energy investment fund in connection with numerous reserve-based loan facilities to borrowers in the oil and gas exploration and production industry, as well as loan facilities to oilfield services companies.
- Represented leading commercial bank in connection with numerous secured, asset-based loans, including first lien and second lien structures.
- Represented administrative agent in connection with $500 million syndicated first lien credit facility for public exploration and production company.
- Advised a hydraulic fracturing company in securing financing to support the construction of pressure pumping equipment. The financing was critical to the client in meeting growing business demands.
- Counseled a designer and manufacturer in a debt refinancing involving the deleveraging of a debt facility. The matter involved multiple jurisdictions in the United States, Asia and Europe.
- Represented a public wholesale power, capacity and ancillary services company in connection with the refinancing of its $2.07 billion secured credit facility.
- Represented public company, as purchaser, in connection with $800 million acquisition from U.S. public company in the oil country tubular goods industry, and subsequent spin-off of interests to joint venture entity.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with acquisition of international deepwater oil and gas acreage and offshore licenses in Western Africa and spin-off to international oil and gas company.
- Represented global energy trading company in connection with $42.5 million acquisition of U.S. refinery assets.
- Represented leading commercial bank in connection with multiple private sale agreements and negotiation of auction agreement in connection with Chapter 7 liquidation of borrower.
- Represented stalking-horse bidder in connection with 363 sale of a manufacturer and supplier of tubular drilling tools in the downhole industry.
- Represented pipe distribution company in an international out-of-court restructuring of the company’s debt and principal commercial agreements.
- Represented bioethanol and biodiesel company in connection with exit facility and subsequent out-of-court restructuring of its first lien/second lien debt facilities.
- The University of Texas School of LawJD2001
The University of Texas at AustinBBA
with high honors1998
Member, Turnaround Management Association
Member, Houston Bar Association
Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Host, "Reflections on the Past, Present and Future of Women in Private Equity and Finance", Deal Us In Podcast Series, May 18, 2023
- Host, "Building Your Leadership Toolkit — How to Lead With Influence ", Deal Us In Podcast Series, March 16, 2023
- Co-host, "What 2021 Tells Us About Finance and Private Equity Trends in 2022", Deal Us In Podcast Series, March 3, 2022
- Co-host, "Flying Over the Wall — Black Women in Law and Private Equity", Deal Us In: Get to Know the Women of Deal Us In, May 28, 2021
- Co-host, "Women in the Workplace — How Far We've Come (Part II)", Deal Us In: Get to Know the Women of Deal Us In, February 24, 2021
- Co-host, "Women in the Workplace Have Come a Long Way — But We’re Not Done Yet", Deal Us In: Get to Know the Women of Deal Us In, January 28, 2021
- Host, "The State of Women in Finance", Deal Us In: Get to Know the Women of Deal Us In, June 8, 2020
- Co-host, "Get to Know the Women of Deal Us In", Deal Us In: Get to Know the Women of Deal Us In, April 28, 2020
- Program Chair, "US Transactional Module", 71st Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference, February 20-21, 2020
- Speaker, "Financial Trends in the Energy Industry", Texas A&M AgriLife Western Anadarko Energy Conference, October 8, 2019
- Downstream Panelist, The Institute for Energy Law Young Attorneys in Energy Sector Program, April 14, 2018
- Downstream Panelist, "Primer on Private Equity for E&P Companies", The Eugene Kuntz Conference on Natural Resources Law and Policy, November 17, 2017
- Speaker, "Women in Energy", University of Houston Chapter of AIPN and Association of Women in Law, April 19, 2017
- Speaker, "Diversity in the Legal Practice", Texas Hispanic Journal of Law and Policy Symposium, April 14, 2017
- Speaker, "Hot Topics and Trends in Energy Transactions – Bankruptcy and Restructuring", Industry Program, September 29, 2016
- Speaker, "Financing Structures", Infocast Oil & Gas Tutorial 2012, 2012
Premier Women in Law, Houston Association of Women Attorneys
Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation, 2018, 2019
Top 50 Women in Law, National Diversity Council, 2017
Member, State Bar of Texas Pro Bono College, 2012, 2014-15
President’s Award, Houston Bar Association, 2010
- Author, End of the Road: Federal Reserve Issues Guidance for Winding Down Main Street Lending Program, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 25, 2020
- Author, Main Street Lending Program Opens to Nonprofits, Multiborrower Loans, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 12, 2020
- Author, Federal Reserve Extends, Expands Main Street Lending Program, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 31, 2020
- Author, Federal Reserve Updates Main Street Lending Program Guidance Following Launch, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 17, 2020
- Author, Main Street Lending Program Now Open, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 6, 2020
- Author, Federal Reserve Opens Main Street Lending Program to Lenders, Releases Nonprofit Proposals, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 18, 2020
- Author, Federal Reserve Tweaks Terms of Main Street Lending Program Ahead of Launch, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 12, 2020
- Author, Main Street Lending Program: (Almost) Open for Business, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 29, 2020
- Author, Federal Reserve Expands Scope of the Main Street Lending Program, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 1, 2020