About Our Team
Our team of more than 60 professionals reaches from coast to coast,
composed of a deep bench of lawyers with decades of experience handling
investigations and litigation at the intersection of business, politics and
law. Our mission is clear: to provide responsive, effective representation
of clients through focused, intense advocacy from the moment an
investigation or inquiry commences.
Among our ranks are a former deputy attorney general of the United States,
former U.S. attorneys, more than a dozen federal prosecutors, an associate
counsel to the president of the United States and other former senior
Strategically positioned in Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago, Atlanta,
Richmond, Charlotte, London and other locations, members of McGuireWoods’
Government Investigations & White Collar Department had storied careers as elected officials, political appointees or within government agencies prior to joining the firm. Our team includes:
- Former deputy attorney general and acting attorney general of the United
- Former associate deputy attorney general
- Former associate counsel to the president of the United States
- Former U.S. attorneys and more than a dozen federal prosecutors
- Former assistant attorney general for the Justice Department’s National
- Former attorney general of Virginia
- Former high-level government enforcement officials at the SEC and the
- Deputy independent counsel under Ken Starr during the Whitewater
- Former chief counsel to a presidential campaign
We also advise on matters before the DoD, FINRA, FERC and other government
agencies, congressional committees, and state attorneys general and
inspectors general. Many of our partners previously served in significant
enforcement positions at these organizations while in government service.
How We Help
Clients turn to McGuireWoods to handle sophisticated and sensitive matters
for a simple reason: We know the ins and outs of civil and criminal
investigations and enforcement matters at the federal and state
level. We represent clients at every stage of government investigations —
from informal inquiries through disciplinary proceedings and appeals — and
we advise on matters involving federal agencies and other investigative
Building on a highly skilled group of former federal prosecutors,
McGuireWoods has handled civil and criminal matters before the DOJ, ranging
from Civil Division investigations under the False Claims Act to grand
jury, public integrity, and other criminal investigations and proceedings
conducted by DOJ’s Criminal Division. Our Government Investigations &
White Collar Litigation Department represents clients’ interests to ensure
their focus can remain on business while we press for a fair and just
outcome, and our team has a breadth of experience in all manner of white
Areas of Focus
- Anti-bribery and anti-corruption (FCPA)
Bank defense and counseling
- Anti-money laundering (AML)/trade embargo compliance
- Compliance/ethics program investigations and counseling
- Educational institution investigations and enforcement
- Environmental investigations and enforcement
- Export control and sanctions enforcement
- False Claims Act and qui tam investigations and litigation
- FEC/campaign finance investigations and enforcement
Government contract investigations and enforcement
- Healthcare fraud
- Inspector general investigations
- Immigration and worksite enforcement
- Law enforcement investigations
- Political investigations litigation and enforcement
- Securities enforcement and litigation
- State attorney general investigations
Strategic risk and crisis management
- White collar defense
- Representing a major
aviation company in its defense against a highly publicized federal criminal
investigation into the crashes of two jets.
- Representing a major
political figure in the Mueller probe and related investigations.
- Won a public declination
from the DOJ for a sitting governor targeted in a federal investigation.
- Took on North Korea and won
more than a half-billion-dollar judgment on behalf of the family of Otto
Warmbier for his imprisonment, torture and death.
- Represented the former
President of USA Gymnastics in recent sexual abuse investigation.
- Secured “stunning reversal”
for former U.S. Representative Aaron Schock after a long-running federal probe
focused on alleged misuse of government and campaign funds.
- Serving as special counsel
for Opioid litigation for a major pharmaceutical company in the midst of a
significant crisis that has spawned some of the largest and most novel legal
activity in recent history.
- Advising a major Catholic
archdiocese amidst allegations of clergy misconduct around the nation.
- Represented Major League
Baseball Players’ Association in congressional inquiry into steroid use.
- Led public investigation on
behalf of a medical school into the “blackface” yearbook scandal surrounding
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam.
- Represented senior
executive of BP in hearings related to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Defending a major financial
institution in connection with its sales practices in investigations by the DOJ,
SEC and OCC.
Download a PDF copy of our team brochure.