Fairfax County, Virginia, planning staff recently released a report recommending changes to the current comprehensive plan Site-Specific Plan Amendment (SSPA) process. The proposed changes are intended to make the overall process more efficient.
Specific provisions contained in the recommended SSPA process:
- A two-year nomination cycle; the current process is a four-year nomination cycle.
- Countywide nominations permitted, with limited exceptions, including sites in Reston and Tysons and along Richmond Highway.
- A focus on “real” projects prioritizing review times for near-term development, andpermitting concurrent zoning applications.
- prioritizing review times for near-term development, and
- permitting concurrent zoning applications.
- Streamlined nomination screening.
Board action is scheduled for June 28, 2022. If the changes are adopted, the countywide nomination period could commence as early as September 2022.
McGuireWoods is available to discuss eligible sites and development strategies to utilize the revised SSPA process.