Katie leverages her experience clerking at every level of the federal judiciary to represent clients at all stages of litigation. She previously served as a law clerk to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the Supreme Court of the United States, Judge John B. Owens of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and Judge Leonie M. Brinkema of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. As a member of the firm’s Business & Securities Litigation and Appeals & Issues groups, she focuses her practice on high-stakes litigation, dispositive motions, and appellate advocacy.
Katie earned her law degree from the University of Virginia, where she served as a notes editor on the managing board of the Virginia Law Review and was honored as a member of the Raven Society and Order of the Coif.
U.S. Supreme Court
- Gonzalez v. Google LLC, 143 S. Ct. 1191 (2023): Represented the NYU Stern Center as amicus in case concerning Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.
Federal Courts of Appeals
- Escalon v. Trafigura Trading LLC, 2023 WL 7295177 (5th Cir. 2023). The Fifth Circuit affirmed dismissal of the complaint based on plaintiffs’ lack of any timely-acquired claim to confiscated property and resulting failure to state a claim under Title III of the Helms-Burton Act.
- Adkins v. CSX Transportation, Inc., 70 F.4th 785 (4th Cir. 2023). The Fourth Circuit affirmed grant of summary judgment for our client, agreeing that the plaintiffs failed to create a genuine dispute as to pretext for their retaliation and discrimination claims and failed to establish the prejudice element of their FMLA interference claims.
- Ham v. Breckon, 994 F.3d 682 (4th Cir. 2021). Defended district court’s decision with briefing and oral argument as court-appointed amicus counsel. In a published opinion, the Fourth Circuit affirmed the district court’s dismissal of successive habeas petition.
- Castillo v. Bank of America, 980 F.3d 723 (9th Cir. 2020). After oral argument, the Ninth Circuit affirmed denial of class certification for lack of predominance.
- Pursued breach of contract claim for energy industry client in Virginia circuit court. Defeated demurrer and won over $6 million judgment on summary judgment.
- Won motion to dismiss suit seeking to hold commodity trading company liable for alleged “trafficking” under Title III of the Helms Burton Act.
- Represented major telecommunications provider in defeating class certification in TCPA “junk fax” case.
- Successfully defended Fortune 100 financial services company in multiple putative class actions related to the CARES Act Paycheck Protection Program, defeating plaintiffs’ attempts to create an MDL and obtaining dismissal of first-impression claims seeking “agent fees.”
- Won dismissal with prejudice of putative class claims against a major financial institution related to refunds for flights cancelled during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented client in responding to FinCEN inquiry.
- Represented a major financial institution in connection with an inquiry from a congressional subcommittee.
- Successfully petitioned for custody order and factual findings necessary to support client’s application for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
- Obtained favorable settlement for pro bono client in Hague Convention child abduction case in the Eastern District of Virginia.
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Order of the Coif, Notes Editor, Virginia Law Review2015
University of VirginiaBAEnglish Language and Literature and Spanish Language and Literature
Member, Virginia State Bar
Member, Richmond Bar Association
Board of Directors, Rebuilding Together Richmond
- Speaker, U.S. Supreme Court Preview, October 10, 2023
- Speaker, U.S. Supreme Court Preview, October 17, 2022
- Speaker, U.S. Supreme Court Preview, October 13, 2021
- Speaker, "A Look Ahead at the 2016-17 Term", U.S. Supreme Court Preview: A Look Ahead at the 2016-17 Term, October 19, 2016
- Speaker, U.S. Supreme Court Preview, McGuireWoods Webinar, October 15, 2015
- Hon. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court, 2018-2019
- Hon. John B. Owens, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 2016-2017
- Hon. Leonie M. Brinkema, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2015-2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Securities, 2021-2024; Appellate Practice, 2022,2023, 2024
- Co-author, Domicile Dismantled, Indiana Law Journal, Spring 2017