Mark Bowles is chairman of McGuireWoods Consulting LLC and a partner with McGuireWoods LLP. As a lawyer and consultant, Mark’s practice focuses on providing strategic counsel and policy advice to business and organizations with issues before state legislatures and regulatory agencies.
In addition, Mark works closely with McGuireWoods Consulting offices in Washington, D.C., and the eight states where the firm has a presence. His practice includes government relations and public affairs, and he works with a variety of clients on issues related to healthcare, energy, technology, gaming, higher education and environmental law.
Mark joined McGuireWoods as one of the original senior vice presidents when McGuireWoods Consulting was founded in 1998. The firm has since grown into one of the largest public affairs firms in the United States, managing issues in all 50 states and providing a full range of public affairs services, including general state and federal lobbying and national specialty practices in infrastructure and economic development, and grassroots and digital advocacy and public relations. Mark has led state, regional and national public policy efforts on behalf of McGuireWoods Consulting clients. He has provided legislative and policy advice and counsel to a number of Fortune 100 companies and maintains an active pro bono practice. He assumed position as chairman of the firm in 2018.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Mark served as chief of staff to Rep. L.F. Payne (D-VA) and was counsel to a multi-state utility. He served as assistant attorney general in Virginia where he worked on legal and policy matters, including serving as staff counsel for the Attorney General’s Task Force on Domestic Violence.
Mark has a lengthy resume in Virginia politics, having managed statewide campaigns, congressional campaigns, and numerous legislative races. Mark served on the finance committee for the McAuliffe for Governor campaign and as the finance co-chair for the inauguration of Governor Terry McAuliffe and Governor Ralph Northam. Mark has also served as finance chair and member of the steering committee for the Democratic Party of Virginia.
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
- Assist clients with legal, legislative and regulatory challenges in areas ranging from, healthcare, energy and telecommunications to alcoholic beverage law.
- Developed and managed the “Virginia Technology Alliance for Public Safety,” a coalition of unmanned technology businesses to successfully curtail efforts to limit the use of drone and unmanned aircraft technology in Virginia.
- Assist wine and distilled spirits distributor with regulatory barriers and business development opportunities.
- Worked with a national technology client to forge an innovative collaboration among key Virginia higher-ed institutions to utilize classroom video technology as a means to efficiently teach complex upper level courses.
- Helped to gain start-up funding and appropriation for the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia, which has become a national leader in promoting political and civics education for students at every level.
- University of Richmond School of LawJD1989
- James Madison UniversityBA1986
Member, Virginia Bar Association
Member, Richmond Bar Association
Member, University of Virginia, Board of Visitors
Foundation Board, Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, University of Virginia
Member, University of Virginia Center for Politics Advisory Board
Member, James Madison University Board of Visitors (2003-2011)
Member Executive Committee, VirginiaForever Board
Vice Chairman, MS Dinner of Champions (2017)
Member Executive Committee, NextUp, providing free after school programs for Richmond middle schools
Former Chairman, Goochland Economic Development Authority
Former Member, Board of the Goochland YMCA (2012-2017)
Co-Chair, Terry McAuliffe Inaugural Committee
Co-Chair, Ralph Northam Inaugural Committee
- Author, Due to COVID-19, Most Pennsylvania Businesses Ordered to Cease Operations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 20, 2020