Richard helps clients litigate and resolve a wide variety of labor and employment issues.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Richard clerked for the Honorable Roderick C. Young, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia, from 2020 to 2021.
While attending William & Mary Law School, Richard was a member of the William & Mary Law Review and the William & Mary Moot Court Team. As a member of the Moot Court Team, he competed in advocacy tournaments across the country, winning two—the 2019 WVU National Energy & Sustainability Moot Court Competition and the 2019 Thomas Tang Northeast Regional Tournament—and finishing as a semi-finalist in a third. He also won the Moot Court team’s intramural tournament and served as president of the William & Mary Chapter of the American Constitution Society. Upon graduation, Richard was selected for membership in The Order of the Barristers, a national honorary organization that recognizes excellence in oral and written advocacy.
Before law school, Richard served on the staff of United States Senator Tammy Baldwin in Washington, D.C.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- Author, Virginia General Assembly 2023 Employment Law Roundup, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 27, 2023
- Author, What’s Next for Employers After the Supreme Court’s Vaccine Rulings?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 14, 2022
- Author, New Tennessee and Alabama Laws Restrict Employer COVID-19 Vaccination Mandates, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 16, 2021
William & Mary Law SchoolJD
summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, member, William & Mary Law Review2020
- University of Wisconsin–MadisonBAEconomics and Political Science2014
Selected for Membership, Order of the Barristers, 2020
- Hon. Roderick C. Young, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2020-2021