Anne focuses her practice on private equity and other financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate matters. She has experience representing lenders in first lien, unitranche, second lien and mezzanine credit facilities, equity co-investments and kickers, regularly advising on intercreditor relationships, capital structures and complex restructurings.
Anne also represents funds, companies and investors in connection with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, including platform and add-on acquisitions, recapitalizations and investment exits. Anne is among a small group of lawyers in the United States who have significant transactional and regulatory experience with Small Business Investment Companies (SBIC Funds). She has experience in both public and private securities offerings, as well as joint ventures, strategic alliances and other complex commercial transactions. She counsels companies on a variety of general corporate matters, ranging from board and shareholder matters, to various contractual and operating concerns.
- Representation of a publicly-traded business development company in its sale of a multi-national provider of back-end merchant solutions and front-end payment and donation management products.
- Representation of a leading provider of customized battery recycling solutions in its add-on acquisition of an electronics reuse and recycling company.
- Representation of a publicly-traded business development company in its sale of a business process outsourcing provider that specializes in printing, fulfillment and call center services.
- Represented over 26 institutional mezzanine and other debt funds in more than 250 debt and equity financings, including: (i) first lien, second lien, unsecured mezzanine, and unitranche debt investments ranging from $2 million to $75 million, (ii) preferred, common and strip equity co-investments ranging from $1 million to $30 million, and (iii) warrant and other equity kickers.
- Represented funds in connection with debt and equity restructurings and workouts.
- Represented funds in connection with third party purchases and sales of debt and equity investments.
- Represented private equity funds in various control buy-outs and non-control equity investments.
- Advised a private equity fund on the acquisition, equity and debt financing of a reference laboratory.
- Regularly represents Small Business Investment Companies (SBICs), Business Development Companies (BDCs) and other private equity funds.
- Represented an acquirer in $2.6 billion merger of leading public chemical companies.
- Represented a leading national railroad in cross-border merger.
- Represented a foreign publicly traded acquirer in multiple mergers in the waste industry.
- Represented multiple chemical companies in sales of business divisions.
- Represented a public medical services company in multiple private acquisitions.
- Represented an enzyme manufacturer in sale of business division.
- Represented a real estate developer in mixed use joint venture development.
- Represented venture capital funds and start-up companies in early-stage equity and convertible debt financings.
Harvard Law SchoolJD
- Duke UniversityMA1995
magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa1993
North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section
Wake County Bar Association; 10th Judicial District, Swearing In Committee; YLD Board, 2007
Board Member, Association for Corporate Growth, 2015-2017
Member, Council for Entrepreneurial Development (CED), 2006-2007
Member, Kerr YMCA Board, 2010-2015
- Guest Panelist, "Control and Navigating Deals With McGuireWoods’ Anne Croteau and Alex Horn", Deal-by-Deal: An Independent Sponsor Podcast, March 7, 2022
- Moderator, "Recommendations when Partnering with an Investor Providing Equity and Debt Capital", 2021 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 20, 2021
- Speaker, "A Debt Finance Podcast ", Yield Maintenance: A Debt Finance Podcast, Ongoing Series
- Presenter, "How to Utilize Mezzanine Financing During COVID-19", Yield Maintenance: A Debt Finance Podcast, July 24, 2020
- Moderator, "Strategies for Capital Partners New to Independent Sponsor Deals", 2019 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 3, 2019
- Moderator, "Working with Independent Sponsors After Closing and Navigating the Relationship When Times Get Tough", 2018 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 3, 2018
- North Carolina
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2020-2024
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Banking & Finance, Chambers USA, 2016, 2018, 2023
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Commercial Lending, 2020
Named to “North Carolina Super Lawyers,” Business/Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2014-2021
Named to “Legal Elite,” Business North Carolina, 2013-2014, 2019-2021
Named to North Carolina Super Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017
Named to North Carolina Super Lawyers Top 50 Women, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2016-2017
Recipient, Business Leader Magazine’s Women Extraordinaire Award, 2011
Graduate of the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce Leadership Raleigh Program (Class 27)
AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Author, Key Takeaways From McGuireWoods’ 2019 Independent Sponsor Conference, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 11, 2019
- Author, Key Takeaways From the McGuireWoods 2018 Independent Sponsor Conference, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 3, 2018
- Contributor, McGuireWoods Independent Sponsor Conference: Several Factors Drive Explosive Growth, The Texas Lawbook, November 6, 2018
- Author, Women in Private Equity to Know: Caroline Ducas, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 1, 2018
- Author, Women in Private Equity to Know: Katie Noggle, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 30, 2018
- Author, Women in Private Equity to Know: Maureen Spivack, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 22, 2018
- Author, Women in Private Equity to Know: Rena Clark, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 3, 2018
- Author, Women in Private Equity to Know: Carolyn Galiette, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 30, 2018