Amanda is an experienced trial attorney who focuses her practice on intellectual property litigation, with special emphasis on trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, patents, unfair competition, unfair trade practices, false advertising, Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolutions (UDRP), and trade secrets. Regularly called to develop and execute protection strategies domestically and internationally, and defend against intellectual property challenges, Amanda has helped clients across industries secure their most valuable intellectual property and businesses. She has tried multiple jury trials in federal court, and represented clients in federal courts across the country as well as before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, WIPO, and the National Arbitration Forum.
In addition to her intellectual property litigation practice, Amanda routinely represents clients in high-risk commercial litigations in both state and federal court, with particular experience and expertise in the Southern District of New York.
Before joining McGuireWoods, Amanda served as judicial intern and then as a law clerk to Judge Amy B. Jackson of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. Before that, she was judicial intern for Judge Mary Ellen Barbera of the Maryland Court of Appeals.
Amanda graduated in the top 1% of her law school class, and during her final year of law school, Amanda served as managing editor of The Georgetown Law Journal.
- Trial and litigation counsel for a plaintiff manufacturer of high-end furniture in a trademark infringement, unfair competition, and breach of contract lawsuit in the Southern District of New York. The jury rendered a verdict in the client’s favor on all counts and awarded disgorgement of revenue and punitive damages.
- Trial and litigation counsel for a major telecommunications company in a counterfeiting, trademark infringement, and unfair competition lawsuit in the Southern District of Florida. After our client secured judgment as a matter of law on the majority of the counterclaims, the jury rendered a verdict in favor of the client on all counts and remaining counterclaims, and it further awarded disgorgement of all profits and statutory damages.
- Trial and litigation counsel on behalf of a famous condiment manufacturer in a “bet the brand” litigation over ownership of the company flagship brand in the Western District of North Carolina. Within a week of trial, obtained a favorable settlement resulting in a consent judgment and permanent injunction entered against the other side.
- Trial counsel on behalf of one of the nation’s top electronic equipment providers in a multi-million dollar breach of contract and breach of warranty lawsuit brought in the Southern District of New York. Obtained multiple key motion victories leading up to trial, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client on all claims and the client’s counterclaim within just a few days of the trial beginning.
- Litigation counsel in a post-acquisition indemnification suit involving allegations of breach of warranty, fraudulent inducement, and negligent misrepresentation in the Southern District of New York. Obtained critical summary judgment rulings in favor the client on several claims and that limited damages. Obtained a favorable result for the client after a bench trial and post-trial briefing.
- Litigation counsel for a top manufacturer in the health and safety space in a “bet the company” false advertising litigation in the Northern District of California. Defeated an anti-SLAPP motion.
- Litigation counsel for a leading sustainable, green building non-profit in a trademark infringement, unfair competition, and dilution case in the Northern District of Texas. Obtained a default judgment, permanent injunction, and statutory damages in the federal lawsuit. Further obtained the transfer of 19 domain names as part of a Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceeding.
- Litigation counsel in a breach of contract and unjust enrichment action in Northern District of Illinois. Obtained summary judgment for the client.
Georgetown University Law CenterJD
magna cum laude, Dean’s List, Managing Editor, The Georgetown Law Journal2013
- University of VirginiaMEdAdministration and Supervision2009
The College of William & MaryBAHistory
magna cum laude2007
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Intellectual Property; Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2024
- Author, Use It or Lose It: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to Audit Certain Existing Trademark Registrations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 10, 2019
- Author, *Chime* It’s an Email From Your Favorite Outside Counsel … or Is It?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 5, 2019
- Author, Fake Reviews and Fake Followers: FTC Cracks Down on Deceptive Online Posting, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 22, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Speaker, Generative AI and the Law – Introduction and IP Ownership, August 3, 2023
- Speaker, "Where Marketers and Attorneys Learn to Speak the Same Language ", Frenemies Video Series, October 2020 - April 2021
- Host, "The One with the Internet: Domain Spoofing", Frenemies Video Series, April 5, 2021
- Host, "The One about the Truth: Fake Reviews, Sponsorships and Other FTC Issues", Frenemies Video Series, April 5, 2021
- Host, "The One Where We Take Simple Steps Upfront to Protect Our New Brand", Frenemies Video Series, October 5, 2020
- Speaker, "Third-party Trademarks and Copyrights", Protect Your Brand and Advance Your Marketing Strategies, February 28, 2018
- Hon. Amy B. Jackson, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 2013-2014