Patrick De Ridder serves as a trusted business advisor to public and private companies with global operations looking to acquire and divest businesses domestically and internationally. He concentrates his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions, joint ventures and domestic and international supply chain management. Patrick also regularly counsels clients on general corporate and business law matters, helping them realize their strategic business objectives and goals.
Patrick’s recent transactions have involved businesses with operations in the United States, South America, Europe and Asia, and have involved diverse industries, with a predominance in manufacturing, life sciences, and food and beverage.
Patrick also currently serves as one of the London Governing Partners. Previously, he was Chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions and Cross-Border Transactions department, and also served as Chair of the Associates Committee and as a member of the Advisory Committee.
Earlier in his career, Patrick acted as legal counsel to the secretary of state of the Brussels Region (Belgium), after which he practiced at a Belgian law firm. He also served as an assistant professor in European Community Law and Public International Law at the University of Leuven School of Law in Leuven, Belgium.
- Representation of Carpenter Co., a global, diversified and world class chemical company, in its €454 million acquisition of the engineered foam business line of Recticel SA/NV (ENXTBR: REC), a Belgium-based manufacturer of polyurethane foam.
- Representation of The Harrington Corp., a producer of gasketed joint injection-molded PVC fittings and push-on gasketed joint ductile fittings, in its sale to IPEX Inc., a Canada-based leader in thermoplastic piping systems and subsidiary of Aliaxis SA (ALIVP: BB), a global leader in advanced plastic piping systems for building, infrastructure, industrial and agriculture applications.
- Representation of Culpeper Wood Preservers, a leading manufacturer of pressure treated products, in its acquisition of Northeast Treaters, a manufacturer of pressure-treated lumber.
- Representation of Culpeper Wood Preservers, a leading manufacturer of pressure treated products, in its acquisition of a utility pole treating facility in Tennessee from Koppers Holdings Inc. (NYSE: KOP), an integrated global provider of treated wood products, wood treatment chemicals and carbon compounds.
- Representation of Culpeper Wood Preservers, a leading manufacturer of pressure treated products, in its acquisition of H. M. Stauffer & Sons, a coal, lumber, and feed supplier.
- Representation of a family-owned full-service freight transportation provider in its sale of a non-asset-based network of trusted carrier partners that provides economically dependable long-haul LTL service to a private equity-backed leading asset-light provider of optimized logistics and transportation services focused on the global supply chain.
- Representation of Origo hf [ICE:ORIGO], an Iceland-based IT services firm, in its $195 million sale of minority interest in Tempo, a Massachusetts-based strategic roadmapping, time and capacity planning, and portfolio management software firm, to Diversis Capital, a private equity firm.
- Representation of the majority owner of a leading provider of custom equipment leasing solutions in its acquisition of the remaining ownership stake in the company from the minority owner.
- Representation of a full-service freight transportation provider in its acquisition of the transportation business of a New England-based trucking company.
- Representation of a leading manufacturer of pressure treated products in its acquisition of the wood treatment businesses of two Maryland-based manufacturers and suppliers of treated wood products.
- Representation of one of the largest full-service providers of total home transition solutions in connection with a $32 million financing round led by a family office with participation from an institutional investor.
- Representation of a home building service in its acquisition of lumber treatment operation from a lumber pressure-treating service.
- Representation of an owner and operator of automotive dealerships in its acquisition of two General Motor dealerships.
- Representation of a professional architectural, engineering, and interior design solutions company in its merger with a Charleston-based architecture firm.
- Representation of the world’s leading producer of films for pharmaceutical, medical device, food, electronics and general purpose thermoform packaging, as well and printing and specialty applications, including for the credit card industry, in the sale of its fleet to a privately held transportation company providing dedicated fleet management, logistics management, warehousing and more.
- Representation of the world’s leading producer of films for pharmaceutical, medical device, food, electronics and general purpose thermoform packaging, as well as printing and specialty applications, including for the credit card industry, in connection with its expansion by means of acquisitions throughout the United States, Canada, Argentina and Brazil.
- Representation of a manufacturer of pre-finished profile molding products for home improvement and commercial construction markets in its sale to a private equity firm focused on investments in the lower middle market.
- Representation of Weidmüller Group, a Germany-based connectivity and automation manufacturer, in its acquisition of W Interconnections, a manufacturer of electronic equipment, from Rockwell Automation, a provider of industrial automation and information products.
- Representation of Strategic Value Partners, a global alternative investment company with $6.9 billion in assets under management, in its sale of Aromair Fine Fragrance to Knowlton Development Corporation, a premier contract manufacturer and custom formulator for the personal care industry.
- Representation of a premier real estate investment and hospitality management company in its $25 million acquisition of a UK-based company that provides software services to international hotel groups.
- Representation of a Hong Kong-based fully integrated supply chain company in its joint venture with a leading commercial plumbing brand in North America to cover China, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
- Representation of a Dallas-based middle market private investment firm, in its UK acquisition of a food and beverage company.
- Representation of a leading international seafood company based in Iceland in its auction process and sale of its U.S. operations and related procurement and manufacturing businesses to a Canadian seafood company.
- Representation of a publicly held manufacturing and processing company with its procurement, processing, warehousing and supply agreements in the Americas, Africa and Asia.
- Representation of a designer, engineer, manufacturer, commissioner, and services industrial processor of water treatment systems in its acquisition of a provider of water treatment equipment for dialysis, healthcare, laboratory and industrial applications.
- Representation of a German pharmaceutical and medical device company with its worldwide licensing, supply, contract manufacturing, quality control and distribution agreements.
- Representation of a Virginia-based publicly held community bank in connection with its expansion by means of the acquisition of a mortgage company and of another publicly held community bank in the region.
- Representation of a publicly held manufacturing and processing company in connection with the divestitures of its non-core businesses in California and China, as well as its expansion by means of a joint venture with a processing company in the Philippines.
- Registered Foreign Lawyer England and Wales
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022, 2023, 2024
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” M&A: Middle-Market, 2023
Listed as a “Recommended Lawyer,” Corporate and Commercial M&A: Smaller Deals Up to £50m, The Legal 500 UK, 2016, 2022
- Panelist, "Cross-Border M&A Trends", SCG Legal Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, September 21 - 22, 2023
- Speaker, "Rethinking “Standard” Provisions and “Boilerplate” in Contracts: Identify Key Drafting Issues and Avoid Litigation", 2016 ACC Mid-Year Meeting, April 2016
- Moderator and Speaker, "Cross-Border M&A Transactions and Overseas Contracting Issues", 6th Annual Medical Device and Life Sciences Conference, November 2014
- Presenter, "Dealing with Experts Post Acquisition: Will your Earn-Out Earn you a Trip to Court?", ACC Annual Meeting, October 2013
- Presenter, "Drafting Considerations for International Contracts: Using Choice of Law and Other Contract Terms to Maximize Profit and Minimize Risk", ACC Annual Meeting, October 2012
- Speaker, "Structuring Successful MedTech Partnerships", 3rd Annual Medical Device, Durable Medical Equipment & Diagnostics Conference, November 2, 2011
- Presenter, "Considerations for Outsourced Models of Product Development, Manufacturing, Distribution and Sales", Partnering Strategies for Life Sciences Firms, Webinar co-hosted by McGuireWoods, biopartnering.com and TVG, September 23, 2009
- Presenter, Partnering Strategies for Life Sciences Firms, September 2009
- University of Virginia School of LawLLM1992
University of Leuven School of LawJD
magna cum laude1988
Member, Treasurer and Chair Finance Committee, Visual Arts Center of Richmond
Executive Committee Member and Secretary, Chesterfield Public Education Foundation
- Author, New FCA Measures to Aid UK-Regulated Market and SME Growth Market Companies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 21, 2020
- Author, Measure of Damages for Breach of Warranty, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 11, 2019
- Author, Companies: Beware of Relying on Precontractual Negotiations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 10, 2019
- Author, Breach of Fiduciary Duties by a Dissenting Director, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2019
- Author, A Dividend Payment Can Constitute a Transaction Defrauding Creditors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 20, 2019
- Author, Brexit – UK Files for Divorce From European Union: What Should Companies Do Now to Prepare?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 29, 2017
- Author, UK Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds, Take Note: New PFLP, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 14, 2017
- Author, Brexit: Preparing for the Unknown — Practical steps, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 21, 2016
- Author, BREXIT: The UK Has Chosen To Leave The EU. What Next?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 24, 2016
- Author, To BREXIT or Not to BREXIT? That is the Question. But What are the Consequences?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 21, 2016
- Author, "The New Normal – Expanded Due Diligence for FCPA Violations Top Ten Tips", Association of Corporate Counsel, June 4, 2013
- Author, Compensation Committee Independence Rules Proposed by Exchanges, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 1, 2012
- Author, The Euro Zone Crisis and Commercial Contracts: What If …?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 13, 2012
- Article Participant, "Vetting for Corruption More Critical Than Ever in International Deals", Counsel to Counsel, Winter 2010