Claire is a seasoned trademark lawyer who helps clients build and protect their brands and other intellectual property.
Claire concentrates much of her practice on colleges and universities. She is active in the Firm’s Education Industry Team and is an Assistant Professor at the Washington and Lee School of Law, teaching a Higher Education Practicum. She has lectured on branding issues specific to universities and on Name, Image, and Likeness rules pertaining to student athletes.
Claire serves clients in many other sectors, including software, consumer retail, finance, and health care. She is an experienced litigator practicing in federal courts throughout the country, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and arbitrations over domain names. Claire is experienced in managing and enforcing worldwide trademark portfolios.
Before joining McGuireWoods, Claire served as a law clerk for the Honorable Robert B. King of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and for the Honorable Nora Barry Fischer of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
While earning her law degree from Washington and Lee University, she was the executive editor for The Washington and Lee Law Review and a member of Omicron Delta Kappa. Claire received the 2012 Washington and Lee Law Council Award for Outstanding Student Note, and was awarded Best Brief in Washington and Lee’s 2012 John W. Davis Appellate Advocacy competition.
Prior to law school, Claire was a clinical social worker at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Washington and Lee University School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Executive Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review2013
- University of Michigan School of Social WorkMSWInterpersonal Practice and Mental Health2006
University of Notre DameBAHistory and American Studies
Member, Virginia State Bar
Member, State Bar of Georgia
Member, Notre Dame Club of Richmond
Member, Washington & Lee Law Young Alumni Council
Member, Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Law Association
Member, NACUANOTES Editorial Board, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Co-author, "Student Athletes: The Times They Are A-Changin’", NACUA Notes, February 17, 2022
- Author, "Student Athletes: The Times They Are A-Changin’", NACUANOTES, Vol. 20., No. 5 (Feb. 17, 2022)
- Author, "Tribute to Professor Doug Rendleman", Washington & Lee Law Review, Vol. 78, Iss. 1 (2022)
- Author, NLRB General Counsel Memo Announces Initiative to Treat College Athletes as Employees, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 7, 2021
- Author, Supreme Court Trademark Ruling Shows You Can’t Judge a Book(ing) by Its .Com, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 2, 2020
- Author, Sheltering Psychiatric Patients from the DeShaney Storm: A Proposed Analysis for Determining Affirmative Duties to Voluntary Patients, 70 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 725, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Hon. Robert B. King, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 2014-2015
- Hon. Nora B. Fischer, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, 2013-2014