Joe concentrates his practice on restructuring and insolvency, including representing a broad range of parties in complex restructuring, bankruptcy and workout matters. He has represented debtors, secured lenders, strategic investors, and various other parties in financially distressed situations, including both in-court and out-of-court restructurings.
He also has represented interested parties in transactions under the remedial provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code, including private sales and acceptances of collateral in exchange for the full or partial satisfaction of debt. In addition, he has represented interested parties in the acquisition of distressed assets.
Prior to his career in law, Joe served as an infantry officer in the United States Army and the Illinois Army National Guard. His assignments included a variety of command and operational roles, to include leading combat units during deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Representation of a national student loan servicer in numerous bankruptcy-related disputes and appellate proceedings.
- Representation of a mid-market auto supplier during wind-down operations and asset sales under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Representation of the subsidiary of a Fortune 100 company in its Chapter 11 proceedings relating to legacy asbestos liabilities.
- Representation of the term loan lender group of a mid-market auto supplier in negotiation and consummation of a debt-for-equity workout transaction.
- Representation of a multi-billion dollar coal company in bankruptcy-related financing transactions, to include DIP financing, exit loan financing, and equity capital raises.
- Representation of a term loan lender group in the bankruptcy case of a mid-stream energy company.
- Representation of term loan agent during bankruptcy case of a paper company in disputes with creditor committee and the closing of a Section 363 sale.
- Representation of a mid-market oil & gas company during its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of municipal debtor in numerous disputes and financing related matters as part of the largest Chapter 9 bankruptcy case in history.
Notre Dame Law SchoolJD
magna cum laude, Editor-in-Chief, Notre Dame Law Review2013
The Citadel, The Military College of South CarolinaBSBusiness Administration
Young Professionals Board, Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing
Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Member, Turnaround Management Association