Drawing on his deep experience in private practice and public service, Kevin represents some of the world’s most prominent financial institutions, corporations, and executives in data privacy and security, investigations, trials, regulatory enforcement proceedings, and complex civil litigation. He also advises on compliance matters.
Kevin chairs McGuireWoods’ State Attorneys General practice. During his tenure across three administrations at the New York State Office of the Attorney General, Kevin oversaw a range of civil investigations and prosecuted white collar crimes involving public servants and elected officials, leading large teams of lawyers, investigators, auditors, and analysts. He led the Public Integrity Bureau, both for most cases tried, and for most convictions secured. Kevin received the 2021 Louis J. Lefkowitz Award, the highest commendation bestowed by New York’s attorney general for superior service. Kevin served as a liaison with other state attorneys general and numerous other state regulators, including the Department of Financial Services, the Office of the State Comptroller, New York State Tax, and the Inspector General, among others. Kevin was also cross-designated as a Special Assistant District Attorney in the Major Economic Crimes Bureau of the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He has taught as an adjunct professor at Columbia Law School, where he also serves on the board of directors for the Columbia Law School Association.
Kevin was a Law Clerk Extern to Judge Richard M. Berman on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York in 2006.
- Successfully defended publicly traded company in multistate investigation of consumer finance complaints brought by a consortium of state attorneys general.
- Defended publicly traded client in antitrust action in the Northern District of California, including successful motion to dismiss.
- Successfully defended publicly traded client in anti-price gouging probe by a state attorney general.
- Successfully represented national banks in consumer finance investigations brought by a state attorney general concerning auto-lending disclosures.
- Defended crypto-currency founder in civil and criminal investigations before the SEC, DOJ, FINRA, a U.S. Attorney’s Office, and other federal regulators.
- Advised a foreign crypto-currency platform on compliance issues concerning opening U.S. operations.
- Successfully represented famous, nationally recognized politician and major financial institution in concurrent investigations by U.S. Attorney’s Office and SEC.*
- First chaired complex trial spanning over three months concerning the interpretation of a trust provision.
- People v. Washington, etc. Prosecuted a public officer at the New York State Department of Education and others for participating in a multi-million-dollar bribery scheme. First chaired six-week jury trial, including pre-trial motions, numerous lay witnesses, and a forensic auditor. Convicted three defendants of felony crimes.*
- People v. Jennings, etc. Prosecuted New York City public servants in a three-year, wide-ranging corruption investigation. Supervised a cross-agency team staffed by dozens of attorneys, investigators, and auditors from the New York State Office of the Attorney General, the New York State Office of the Comptroller, and the New York City Department of Investigation. Made hundreds of court appearances in five counties ranging from arguing complex motions to negotiating pleas. First chaired four-week jury trial, including pre-trial motions, numerous lay witnesses, and a forensic auditor. Convicted nineteen defendants on misdemeanor or felony counts of insurance fraud and grand larceny.*
*Prior to joining McGuireWoods.
Columbia Law SchoolJD
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Editor, Columbia Journal of Gender & Law and Columbia Journal of Law & Social Problems2007
University of California DavisBSPhysiology and Behavior
University of California DavisBAPhilosophy
Board Member, Hillel at Davis and Sacramento, 2023–present
Director, Columbia Law School Association, 2022–present
Adjunct Professor, Columbia Law School, 2019–present
Advisory Board Member & Chairman, Board Match, 2015–present
Advisory Board Member, Rafiki Coalition for Health and Wellness, 2013–present
Board Member, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, 2011–2013
Law Clerk Extern, Judge Richard M. Berman, S.D.N.Y., 2006
- Moderator, Fintech and Bank Partnerships: Evolving Trends, March 16, 2023
- Moderator, "Fintech Regulatory Updates", CLE, January 26, 2023
- Moderator, "Lawyering with Littles: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion", CLE, January 26, 2023
- Presenter, "Mediation: Negotiation Theory and Best Practices", Federal Bar Association, January 25, 2023
- Panelist, San Francisco Fintech Roundtable CLE and Reception, May 19, 2022
- Presenter, "Cryptocurrency – A Primer and Recent Regulatory Developments", CLE, March 21, 2022
- Presenter, "Responding to Grand Jury Subpoenas", CLE, March 9, 2022
- Panelist, "State and Local Governments’ Response to Corruption", New York University School of Law, February 9, 2021
- Presenter, "How to Choose a Law Firm", Columbia Law School, December 18, 2020
- Presenter, "The Impact of Article 245 on Criminal Discovery", New York State Office of the Attorney General, December 13, 2019
- Presenter, "Non-Traditional Career Paths in the Law", Columbia Law School, February 26, 2019
- Panelist, "Religious Identity and Legal Practice", Columbia Law School, March 27, 2018
- Panelist, "Jewish Life in Legal Practice", Columbia Law School, October 25, 2017
- Presenter, "Investigative Techniques", New York State Office of the Attorney General, June 28, 2017
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Recipient, Louis J. Lefkowitz Award, 2021
Named a ‘Rising Star,” White Collar Criminal Defense, SuperLawyers, 2014
Awarded, “Empire State Counsel,” New York Bar Association, 2009-2013
Recipient, Pro Bono Award, Bar Association of San Francisco, 2011, 2012
Recipient, Pro Bono Award, Legal Services of New York, 2010
Recognition of Achievement in International and Comparative Law, Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law, 2007
- Author, FTC and CFPB Announce New Rules to Tackle Junk Fees, Consumer FinSights, October 16, 2023
- Author, Massachusetts Attorney General Increasing Enforcement in Car Repossession Space, Subject to Inquiry, August 28, 2023
- Author, Real-Estate Agents Who Participate in Joint Ventures Should Be Wary of the CFPB’s Recent Policy Statement on Abusive Conduct, Consumer Finsights, July 11, 2023
- Author, State Attorneys General Activity on the Rise, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 22, 2023
- Co-author, "NY State Legislature Dramatically Expand Power Plaintiffs Bar", New York Law Journal, June 15, 2023
- Co-author, "‘Makhani’ and the Limited Subject-Matter Jurisdiction of State Attorneys General", New York Law Journal, May 12, 2023
- Author, Silvergate, Silicon Valley Bank, Bank Receiverships in General, and Payroll Regulatory Challenges, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 15, 2023
- Author, Consumer Watchdog Calls on California AG to Investigate Rising Energy Prices, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 23, 2023
- Author, 33 State Attorneys General Urge Federal Trade Commission to Take Action on Corporate Surveillance, Subject to Inquiry, January 5, 2023
- Author, New California Law Bans Tech Companies From Disclosing Data for State Abortion Investigations, Subject to Inquiry, September 30, 2022
- Author, Is the Future of the Dollar Digital? The Fed Talks Updating Greenbacks to the Blockchain, Consumer FinSights, May 26, 2022
- Author, Opportunity Financial Lawsuit Against California Regulator Continues Fight Over “True Lender” Rule, Consumer FinSights, May 12, 2022
- Author, New York State Department of Financial Services Takes Aim at Blockchain Entities Circumventing Sanctions on Russia, Consumer FinSights, May 11, 2022
- Author, SEC Signals Enhanced Focus on Crypto Assets by Expanding the Enforcement Unit Tasked With Protecting Crypto Markets, Consumer FinSights, May 3, 2022
- Author, Enforcers Eye Crypto Tax Dodgers, Their Accountants and Lawyers, Consumer FinSights, April 7, 2022
- Co-author, Second Circuit Adopts Glomar Doctrine, New York Law Journal, February 24, 2010
- Author, The Fourteenth Amendment Due Process Right to Family Integrity Applied to Custody Cases Involving Extended Family Members, Columbia Journal of Law & Social Problems, Vol. 40.3, 2007
- Author, A Flood of Uncertainty: Rapanos & Carabell, Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, Vol. 32.1, 2007
- Author, On the Issue of Human Essence, U.C. Davis Journal of Bioethics & Philosophy of Science, May 2004