Berkeley focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, lending, and securities transactions, with an emphasis on the healthcare and industrial sectors.
Berkeley regularly advises private equity groups, physicians, and dentists in the purchase and sale of physician and dental practices. He also assists clients active in the healthcare technology space with corporate and transactional matters. In addition, Berkeley has advised financial institutions in financing transactions of borrowers active in the healthcare industry.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Berkeley regularly assists clients with acquisitions, divestitures, affiliations, joint ventures and other strategic transactions with an emphasis on the healthcare and industrial sectors.
Private Equity & Lending Transactions
Berkeley also regularly counsels clients on investing activities, including mezzanine financing, senior lending, venture capital, and control buyouts. He has significant experience representing independent sponsors and Small Business Investment Companies (SBIC Funds).
- Represented independent sponsor in acquisition of industrial flare service company.
- Represent investment group in acquisition and roll-up of surgical hospitals and physician practices.
- Represented operator of water disposal wells in sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented independent sponsor in acquisition of $20 million oil field services company.
- Represent lender in extension of $10 million credit facility to restaurant group.
- Represent private equity group in $30 million acquisition of medical services organization.
- Represent seller of $120 million dental services organization.
- Represent seller of $10 million healthcare information service provider.
- Represented owners in sale of approximately $85 million pharmaceutical manufacturing company to private equity fund.
- Represented owners in sale of approximately $50 million environmental remediation company to private equity fund.
- Represented owners in sale of approximately $50 million IT government contracting company to employee stock ownership plan.
- Represented investor group in sale of approximately $40 million building materials manufacturing company to strategic buyer.
- Represented owners in sale of approximately $30 million industrial manufacturing company to strategic buyer.
- Represented management in buyout of $40 million trucking and logistics company.
- Represented owners in sale of recreational vehicle dealer to strategic buyer.
- Represented owners in sale of janitorial services company to strategic buyer.
- Represented buyer of industrial furniture manufacturing company.
- Represented owners in roll-up and sale of hospitality corporate group of 34 entities to private equity fund.
- Represented owners in sale of chemical manufacturing company to strategic buyer.
- Represented owners in sale of natural gas pipeline holding company to strategic buyer.
- Represented community bank in merger with competitor.
- Represented lender on its extension of senior secured credit facility to oilfield services company.
University of Richmond School of LawJD
- Hampden-Sydney CollegeBAEconomics and Political Science2007
The University of Texas School of Law
Associate Editor, Texas Review of Law and Politics, 2009-2010
Executive Committee, Business Law Section of the Richmond Bar Association
Secretary, James River Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society
- Moderator, "How to Work with Family Offices as an Independent Sponsor", 2022 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 26, 2022
- Moderator, "Current Trends in Healthcare Lending", 14th Annual Healthcare Finance and Growth Conference, September 17, 2019
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2024, Woodward/White, Inc.
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Business/Corporate, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2021, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2022