Governor Hodges is President and Chief Executive Officer of McGuireWoods Consulting LLC and a partner with McGuireWoods LLP. He advises clients on business and policy matters, dividing his time between Washington, D.C., and Columbia, S.C. Prior to serving as South Carolina’s Governor, Governor Hodges served as General Counsel to one of South Carolina’s largest private companies.
He has assisted clients on matters in all 50 states, and has extensive knowledge about government and government decision makers across the United States. He regularly works with clients having matters at the National Governors Association, Democratic Governors Association, Democratic Attorneys General Association, and National Association of Insurance Commissioners. In addition, Governor Hodges works with private equity investors and portfolio companies to help them understand the implications of state-level policy decisions and market trends for their investment and business decisions, and to gain a better understanding of the key players in government impacting these important decisions.
Governor Hodges served as a national co-chair of the Obama for President Campaign in 2008, and regularly advises political and business leaders on a wide range of state, regional and national policy issues.
Jim received an honorary doctorate degree from the University of South Carolina, South Carolina State University, The Citadel, Winthrop University and Francis Marion University. While earning his law degree at the University of South Carolina, he was a member of the mock trial team. As an undergraduate, he was named Outstanding Senior in Economics and selected to Phi Beta Kappa. He has been named to Best Lawyers in America from 2008 through 2021.
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
- University of South Carolina School of LawJD1982
University of South CarolinaBSBusiness Administration
Phi Beta Kappa1979
Member, Board of Directors, Strategic Partnerships, LLC
Vice-chair, Board of Advisors, Public Insight, LLC
Member, Board of Trustees, Business Partnership Foundation, University of South Carolina Moore School of Business
Member, Board of Directors, CoastalSouth Bancshares, Inc.
Member, Board of Directors, Mongolia Railway Infrastructure Co.
Member, Board of Directors, Titan Insurance Company
- Moderator, The 2020 Post-Election Environmental Landscape: Impacts You Should Know, Complimentary Webinar, November 17, 2020
- Panelist, 2020 Election Recap: Gubernatorial, Attorneys General and State Legislative Races, November 9, 2020
- Moderator, South Carolina Election Recap and 2021 Legislative Outlook, November 9, 2020
- Panelist, Election Insights Part III: Presidential, U.S. Senate and House Races, October 22, 2020
- Panelist, Election Insights: Gubernatorial, Attorneys General and State Legislative Races, October 1, 2020
- Panelist, Employee Voter Engagement Webinar, September 24, 2020
- Panelist, Election Insights: Presidential, U.S. House and Senate Races, September 16, 2020
- Speaker, Reopening Colleges and Universities: COVID-19 Funding, Legal Insights and Safety Protocols, May 29, 2020
- Speaker, Bridging the COVID-19 Gap – How to Preserve Incentives When the Future Is Unclear, May 4, 2020
- Speaker, "State and Federal Policy Changes Impacting Healthcare Markets", 17th Annual Healthcare Private Equity & Finance Conference, February 19-20, 2020
- Speaker, "State Government Focused Panel", 12th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, February 18, 2015
- South Carolina
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Government Relations Practice, Woodward/White, Inc., 2008-2024
Named “Lawyer of the Year,” Government Relations Practice, Columbia, SC, Best Lawyers, 2020
- Author, State Attorneys General Activity on the Rise, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 22, 2023
- Author, Due to COVID-19, Most Pennsylvania Businesses Ordered to Cease Operations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 20, 2020
- Author, Election Alert: Summary of Gubernatorial and Attorney General Races, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, November 10, 2016
- Author, South Carolina Election Summary, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, November 9, 2016