PJ Harris focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate transactional matters. He represents publicly and privately held companies in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, platform and add-on acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, and other transformative and strategic transactions.
PJ also counsels clients on corporate governance matters across the entire life cycle of a business, from startup to exit.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, PJ practiced at a law firm in Charlottesville, VA as corporate counsel for emerging growth companies. PJ’s prior work experience also includes working as a co-founder and operator of a software-as-a-service platform and as a strategic deals advisor for a “big four” professional services firm.
“I am enthusiastic about supporting the health and growth of enterprises that impact the world.”
- Represented a renewable energy company in a $20 million sale to a leading energy-focused SaaS platform.
- Represented a clean energy platform in a $700 million credit, equity and debt financing from a global alternative investment manager.
- Represented a healthcare private equity firm specializing in middle market acquisitions in several hundred-million dollar buyouts of physician practices.
- Represented a manufacturer of electrical distribution equipment in a $500 million sale to a leading middle-market private equity firm.
- Represented the $120 million sale of one of the nation’s fastest growing private technology companies to a leading middle-market private equity firm that invests in software & technology.
- Advised an electric car company in a transformational cybersecurity implementation transaction.
- Prepared deal economics and transactional documents for a $45 million tax deal for a global snack company.
- Prepared deal economics and transactional documents for a $32 million carveout of a global asset manager.
- Prepared transactional documents for a $47 million data-as-a-service deal for an investment management company.
- Drafted transactional documents for a $55 million acquisition for a leading global insurance organization.
- Drafted transactional documents for a $36 million outsourcing deal.
- Negotiated and closed a commercial loan for a health and real-estate minority business enterprise from a Community Development Financial Institution (“CDFI”) on a pro bono basis.
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Member, Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law2016
- University of VirginiaBAEnglish2013
- Author, BPE Deal Tracker: Physician-Led PE Firm Brings Ophthalmic Surgical Innovations to Rural Health Communities, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 19, 2023
- Co-author, "ESG Considerations in the Context of M&A", Deal Points: The Newsletter of the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association, Spring 2023
- Co-author, "M&A Considerations for Management in Small Deals", Deal Points: The Newsletter of the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association, Winter 2023