Drew’s experience includes all aspects of real estate and construction transactions, including government-assisted and low-income credit financing.
His practice includes the representation of sellers, buyers, developers, and lenders engaged in the sales, acquisition, development, financing, and refinancing of all types of commercial property. He has experience with lease finance and other off-balance sheet transactions, such as synthetic leases and sale-leasebacks. He has also represented both landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions.
Drew has extensive experience in the construction contracting field. He has particular experience representing property owners in their negotiations of construction, architect, design-build, and engineering agreements. He has successfully represented international hotel and restaurant chains, large utilities, property developers, and large corporations in all aspects of the drafting, negotiation, and post-closing implementation of these contracts.
Drew brings significant experience to the real estate finance field. Drew has represented a Fortune 500 life insurance company in the lending of over $1.15 billion in real estate backed portfolio loans and has represented conduit lenders in the origination and securitization of over $2.1 billion in CMBS loans. Drew has also Represented a large national bank in over $250 million of real estate and secured debt finance transactions.
Prior to arriving at McGuireWoods, LLP he served in the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Office of Credit Ratings as an Honor Student Intern. There, he assessed Credit Ratings Agencies’ financial models evaluating whether these agencies accurately modeled the financial effects of changes in the legal landscape, focusing on real estate backed securities.
At the University of Virginia Law School he served as Submissions Editor for the Journal of Law & Politics and as Secretary of the Student Bar Association. Additionally, Drew served as a Nongovernmental Observer at the Guantanamo Bay Military Commissions, working to increase the transparency and fairness of these proceedings.
Drew is a NAUI Master Scuba Diver, an avid sailor, and enthusiastic snowboarder. Before entering the law he was a Production Assistant on CBS Television’s hit show CSI: New York.
“Treat every client like they are your only client.”
- Represented a Fortune 500 life insurance company in the lending of over $1.15 billion in real estate backed portfolio loans.
- Represented conduit lenders in the origination of over $2.1 billion in CMBS loans.
- Represented a large national bank in over $250 million of real estate and secured debt finance transactions.
- Represented a large medical non-profit in all aspects (drafting, negotiation, post-closing) of design and development contracting for a $60 million development of its corporate campus.
- Represented a regional bank in the origination and renegotiation of over $20 million in real estate secured SOFR term loans.
- Represented a regional bank in converting term loans from LIBOR to SOFR.
- Drafted the form documents used by a large utility authority and which are anticipated to be used on over $1.5 billion worth of construction contracts over the next three years.
- Represented large coffee company in all aspects of construction and post construction matters relating to the development of flagship facilities in New York and Chicago.
- Represented one of the 20 largest banks in America in drafting and negotiation of contracts for the renovation of two of its corporate offices.
- Represented owner/developer in the design-building of a $30 million residential development.
- Represented a high school in negotiating design-build contracts for expansion facilities.
- Represented large corporation in negotiation of design-build contract for a factory in Michigan and a subsequent expansion of the same factory.
- Represented an international hotel chain in its negotiation of a system wide design contract.
- Represented a Fortune 500 energy company in a synthetic lease worth over $250 million.
- Counseled a client on Virginia’s lien priority laws in connection with their acquisition and financing of hundreds of residential properties.
- Advised a top historically black university in connection with their acquisition of distressed real estate for a campus expansion.
- Advised a top public university with its development and operation of student housing.
- University of Virginia School of LawJD2015
- University of California Los AngelesBAEconomics and Political Science2011
Submissions Editor, Virginia Journal of Law & Politics, 2014, 2015
Selected Member, University of Virginia, Lawn & Range Community, 2014, 2015
Secretary and Third Year Senator, Student Bar Association, 2012-2015
President, First Year Council, 2012, 2013
Philanthropic Chair, Beta Gamma Chapter: Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity, 2010, 2011
- District of Columbia
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Real Estate Law, 2021-2024