Laura is a partner in the firm’s nationally recognized Government Investigations and White Collar practice. She advises clients on a wide range of criminal, civil and regulatory enforcement matters. She has successfully defended companies and executives facing high stakes investigations, criminal exposure and reputational risk. She also advises on compliance issues and has extensive experience managing risks associated with corruption, money laundering and economic sanctions.
Laura is ranked in Chambers USA for white collar crime and government investigations in Virginia, and was named a National Law Journal Criminal Law Trailblazer and a Benchmark “Local Litigation Star.” She has been consistently recognized for her work by Global Investigations Review, including as one of the Top 100 Women in investigations “who are achieving great things in a competitive and notoriously tough area of law.”
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Laura was the head of the white collar defense and internal investigations team for an AmLaw100 international firm. She also served for 15 years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia, handling numerous federal jury trials and successfully arguing five cases before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. From 1999 to 2007, Laura served as a JAG Officer in the United States Army Reserve, which included an assignment to the Contract Appeals Division handling procurement fraud matters.
- Successfully defended CFO of government contractor in investigation of allegations of corruption resulting in no charges being filed.
- Led representation of health care company in a False Claims Act (“FCA”) qui tam action alleging over $300 million in upcoding illegal kickbacks resulting in decision by the government not to intervene.
- Led representation of government contractor in aerospace industry in investigation of FCA violations for kickbacks and time mischarging and successfully settled case with no admission of liability.
- Conducted internal investigation for global retailer regarding allegations of corruption and self-dealing involving Asia operations.
- Led internal investigation for global service provider to address allegations of corruption and bid-rigging in Asia operations and developed remediation plan.
- Successfully defended hospital system to address potential civil liability in investigation of alleged FCA violations based on improper billing and lack of documentation resulting in favorable settlement.
- Developed FCPA and anti-corruption training for a global company’s operations in China, to include guidance on risks associated with global security logistics.
- Successfully defended CEO of global manufacturing company in investigation involving allegations of bribes and kickbacks in connection with government contracts.
- Advised global financial institution on cross-border and bank secrecy issues related to requests for information by AML regulators.
- Advised global financial institution on cross border issues related to the implementation of centralized solution to manage OFAC compliance.
- Conducted targeted due diligence to assess OFAC risks and issues involving beneficial ownership in the context of complex real estate transactions, mergers and acquisitions and investment funds.
- Successfully defended hospital system to resolve civil liability under the FCA based on allegations of performing surgical procedures without medical necessity.
- Represented global media company in asset recovery matter involving high value digital media and archives. Coordinated civil litigation and advocacy with federal authorities to recover the assets.
- Advised lienholders on the assertion of rights as a third party claimant in connection with a civil forfeiture proceeding against real property, including guidance on “innocent owner” defense to civil forfeiture, and remission and restoration procedures for purposes of restitution.
- Led independent investigation for school system to address allegations of misconduct in connection with social media platforms.
- Advised client on team suspension and potential violations of Title IX in relation to disciplinary procedures for student athletes.
- Advised school system on potential conflict of interest violations and related qui tam under federal and state false claims statutes.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (FCPA)
- Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering Counseling and Defense
- Crisis Management & Incident Response
- Educational Institutions Investigations
- False Claims Act Investigations, Litigation and Enforcement
- Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation
- Healthcare Enforcement
- Healthcare Litigation
- International Investigations & Enforcement
- Law Enforcement Policy and Practice Reviews
- State Attorneys General
- Strategic Risk & Crisis Management
University of Richmond School of LawJD
University of Richmond Law Review1994
- University of VirginiaBAAmerican Government1991
Member, Virginia Bar Association, Criminal Law Section Chair
Member, American Bar Association, Women in White Collar Subcommittee
Member, Federal Bar Association
Member, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS), Central Virginia Chapter
- Co-presenter, "And Then Came the Regulators – Understanding the Unique Role of In-House Counsel in Managing Cybersecurity Risk", 69th Annual Natural Resources and Energy Law Institute, July 21, 2023
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Named among the Legal Elite for Criminal Law, Virginia Business Magazine, 2017, 2021, 2023
Selected as a Leader in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Virginia, Chambers USA, 2021, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Corporate Investigations and White-collar Criminal Defense, 2022
Named a “Local Litigation Star,” White Collar Crime, Benchmark Litigation, 2020-2022
Recognized in “The GIR 100,” Global Investigations Review, 2018, 2019, 2021
Named a “Criminal Law Trailblazer,” The National Law Journal, 2020
Named among Top 100 Women in Investigations Survey, Global Investigations Review, 2015
Selected to Leadership Metro Richmond, Class of 2014
Director’s Award, United States Secret Service, 2013
- Co-author, Impacts of Sanctions and Export Controls on Supply Chains, Global Investigations Review, The Guide to Sanctions: Fourth Edition, September 29, 2023
- Author, “There are Cops on the Beat”: DOJ’s Procurement Collusion Strike Force Leader Emphasizes Criminal Antitrust as Top Enforcement Priority, Subject to Inquiry, October 2, 2023
- Author, SBA Issues Interim Guidance After Ultima Decision Finds 8(a) Program Violates Equal Protection, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 29, 2023
- Author, Departments of Justice, Commerce and Treasury Issue Tri-Seal Compliance Note on Voluntary Self-Disclosure of Potential Violations, Subject to Inquiry, July 31, 2023
- Author, U.S. DOJ and Partners Increasing Enforcement of Sanctions and Export Controls, Subject to Inquiry, March 6, 2023
- Author, DOJ’s False Claims Act Statistics Show Declining Recoveries, Increasing Enforcement, Subject to Inquiry, February 23, 2023
- Co-author, "Impacts of Sanctions and Export Controls on Supply Chains", Global Investigations Review, The Guide to Sanctions: Third Edition, June 2022
- Author, Supreme Court Signals Interest in Clarifying Pleading Requirements in False Claims Act Suits, The FCA Insider, June 9, 2022
- Author, New Revelations in Ukraine Lead to Tightening Global Sanctions, Subject to Inquiry, April 8, 2022
- Author, Western Companies Starting to Feel Impact of Russian Sanctions, Subject to Inquiry, March 24, 2022
- Author, DOJ Ramps Up Resources, Renews Focus on Combating COVID-19-Related Fraud, Subject to Inquiry, March 17, 2022
- Author, State, Local Governments Employ Economic, Political Tools in Response to Ukraine Invasion, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 17, 2022
- Author, FinCEN Encourages “Increased Vigilance,” Highlights Red Flags for Evasion of Russian Sanctions, Subject to Inquiry, March 16, 2022
- Author, Federal Framework for Digital Asset Regulation Comes into Focus, Consumer FinSights, March 15, 2022
- Author, DOJ Settles First False Claims Act Enforcement Action Since Launch of Civil Cyber-Fraud Initiative, Subject to Inquiry, March 10, 2022
- Author, DOJ Launches “Task Force KleptoCapture” in Response to Russian Invasion, Subject to Inquiry, March 9, 2022
- Author, U.S. and Allies Significantly Expand Sanctions and Related Restrictions on Russia and Belarus, Subject to Inquiry, February 28, 2022
- Author, Analysis of DOJ’s 2021 FCA Statistics and the Trends Therein, Subject to Inquiry, February 9, 2022