Helen focuses on corporate healthcare transactional work and regulatory matters.
Her experience includes representation of various types of healthcare providers including hospitals, health systems, dialysis facilities, multi- and single-specialty medical practices, ambulatory surgery centers, and a variety of healthcare industry entrepreneurs, including medical device manufacturers, in sales and acquisitions, joint ventures, general corporate matters, contracting, securities, and regulatory matters.
Her work includes negotiating and drafting transaction documents and counseling clients with regard to the legal aspects of day-to-day operations, including general corporate matters; anti-kickback and Stark issues; self-referral, corporate practice of medicine and fee-splitting prohibitions; and state and federal securities matters.
- Represented a national ASC development and management company in a series of acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures.
- Represented a large health system in the disposition of its outpatient dialysis facilities.
- Represented one of China’s leading medical device manufacturers in a joint venture with a large U.S.-based distributor of healthcare products.
- Represented a private equity fund with an investment in a manufacturer and distributor of complex rehab wheelchairs.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of disposable medical products in acquiring its U.S. distribution partners.
- Northwestern Pritzker School of LawJD2005
- Yale UniversityBAEconomics2001
Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Member, Board of Directors, Korean-American Bar Association
- Moderator, "Effective ASC, Lab, Imaging & Other Ancillary Strategies for PPM Businesses", 18th Annual Healthcare Private Equity & Finance Conference, February 17, 2022
- Moderator, "Market Trends on Physician Compensation & Alignment", 17th Annual Healthcare Private Equity & Finance Conference, February 19-20, 2020
- Moderator, "Spine and Joints in ASCs" and "Should You Sell Your ASC or Practice? What are the Valuations? Who Are the Buyers?", Becker’s ASC Review: 26th Annual Meeting: The Business and Operations of ASCs, Chicago, IL, October 24, 2019
- Moderator, "Nurse Bullying: How to Broach One of Healthcare’s Less-Discussed Problems", Beckers Hospital Review 10th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 1, 2019
- Moderator, "4.0 Level Advanced Assessment and Management of Known and Unknown Risks: Corporate Integrity Agreements, Ongoing Investigations, and Other Challenges and Opportunities", 16th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, February 20-21, 2019
- Moderator, "Core Thoughts on Avoiding Staff and Physician Burnout," and "Litigation for ASCs - The Big Issues for ASCs", Becker’s ASC 23rd Annual Meeting: The Business and Operations of ASCs, Chicago, IL, October 27, 2016
- Moderator, "Current Trends in Physician Joint Ventures and Physician-Driven Businesses", 10th Annual Healthcare Provider Conference: Healthcare Finance and Growth, September 17, 2015
- Moderator, "Haze or Sunshine – The Physician Payment Sunshine Act", 5th Annual Medical Device and Life Sciences Conference, November 7, 2013
- Moderator, "Current Trends in Surgery Center Investments", 2013 Southeast Healthcare Provider Conference: Healthcare Finance and Growth, September 24, 2013
- Speaker, "10 Key Points for the Healthcare Industry ", Corporate Integrity Agreements, McGuireWoods Webinar, January 31, 2013
- Moderator, "Current Trends in Surgery Center Investments", Southeast Healthcare Provider Conference, October 11, 2011
- Author, HHS Advisory Opinion Approves Profit-Based Bonus Plan for Bona Fide Physician Employees, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 25, 2023
- Author, Private Equity in Healthcare – An Updated Review of Selected Niche Investment Areas, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 7, 2023
- Author, Fraud and Abuse Rules Part IV: Final Changes to Existing and New Anti-Kickback Statute Safe Harbors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 3, 2021
- Author, Recent Physical Therapy Enforcement Actions Highlight Compliance Concerns, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 19, 2020
- Author, Illinois to Increase Access to Healthcare Via Telehealth During COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 15, 2020
- Author, A View From the Top: Steven Windwer of Bay State Physical Therapy, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 12, 2019
- Author, HHS to Ease Fraud and Abuse Rules Part 1: Proposed Revisions to Existing Anti-Kickback Statute Safe Harbors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 28, 2019
- Author, "Assessment and Management of Known and Unknown Risks: 6 Points on Corporate Integrity Agreements, Ongoing Investigations, and Other Challenges and Opportunities", The Healthcare Investor, May 30, 2019
- Author, CMS Revised Guidance on Immediate Jeopardy, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 24, 2019
- Co-author, "A Means to Stave Off Medicare Termination", Law360, February 27, 2015
- Author, Florida Bankruptcy Court Offers Potential Means to Stave Off Medicare Termination, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 17, 2015
- Co-author, "Dental Practice Management: Current Legal Developments and Trends", Health Care Law Monthly, January 2014
- Co-author, "A Picture Of Health: Medical Tech Private Equity", Law360, July 15, 2013
- Author, 22 Advisory Opinions Issued by the Office of Inspector General (OIG), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 19, 2013