For more than 10 years, Joe has focused his practice on insolvency law, financial restructuring, and related litigation.
He is experienced in representing corporate debtors, secured lenders, trustees, official committees of unsecured creditors, asset acquirers, and other parties in interest in bankruptcy cases. He is also experienced in representing plaintiffs and defendants in bankruptcy-related litigation in courts throughout the United States.
While earning his undergraduate degree from the College of William & Mary, Joe was honored as a member of Omicron Delta Kappa and Pi Sigma Alpha, the College’s political science honor society.
- Representation of Plan Administrator in ASARCO, LLC Chapter 11 case (S.D. Tex.).
- Representation of LandAmerica Financial Group, Inc. as Chapter 11 debtor (E.D. Va.).
- Representation of derivative counterparty in Lehman Bros. Chapter 11 cases (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representation of secured lender and adversary defendant in Adelphia Communications Corporation Chapter 11 cases (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representation of secured lender and adversary defendant in Enron Corporation Chapter 11 cases (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representation of debtor-in-possession lender in Apex Technologies Holdings, Inc. (C.D. Ca.).
- Representation of post-confirmation Liquidating Trustee in The Austin Company Chapter 11 case (N.D. Ohio).
- Representation of official committee of unsecured creditors in U.S. Energy Biogas Corp. Chapter 11 cases (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representation of acquirer of fossil fuel power plants in USGen New England, Inc. Chapter 11 case (D. Md.).
- Representation of several unsecured creditors and contract counterparties in Calpine Corporation Chapter 11 case (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representation of Joint Liquidators for Bermuda reinsurance company as petitioners in Section 304 ancillary proceeding (E.D. Va.).
- Representation of unsecured creditor and adversary defendant in Mirant Corporation Chapter 11 case (N.D. Tex.).
- Representation of Bank in Open Plan Systems, Inc. in a Chapter 11 case (E.D. Va.).
- Representation of AMF Bowling Worldwide, Inc. as Chapter 11 debtor (E.D. Va.).
University of Michigan Law SchoolJD
Articles Editor and Associate Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law2001
The College of William & MaryBAPhilosophy and Government
magna cum laude1998
Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Member, Section of Bankruptcy, Richmond Bar Association
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights, Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2013-2024; Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2019-2024; Woodward/White, Inc.
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2011-2016