Bill serves as a partner in the Real Estate and Land Use practice in the McGuireWoods Los Angeles – Century City office.
He concentrates his practice in real estate finance. He has extensive experience in the representation of senior and mezzanine lenders, and institutional investors, in financing transactions involving all major asset classes. Bill has lending experience in construction, bridge and permanent loans, for syndicated facilities, insurance companies and other portfolio lenders and securitization execution. He also represents borrowers in acquisition and construction financings, and in debt transactions on behalf of institutional tenants in sale-leaseback transactions and in other structured financings. A particular focus of Bill’s practice includes the net lease sector, where he regularly represents lenders, tenants and owners in financing transactions.
Bill advises bank and non-bank lenders in all aspects of the commercial real estate lending process, from designing procedures and drafting form documents for new lenders, to loan structuring and origination, and culminating either with the disposition (via securitization, one-off or portfolio sales) or servicing functions. He represents lenders and debt holders in foreclosures (consensual and contested), negotiated workouts, deed-in-lieu transactions, loan sales, equity recapitalizations and other exit strategies for under-performing or distressed investments.
- Counsel to a non-profit organization in connection with a $232 million acquisition, and $246 million acquisition financing, for pre-development of an expansion of a major hospital facility.
- Represent a major national retailer in connection with a $625 million sale-leaseback facility involving more than two dozen locations in 4 states.
- Finance counsel to a publicly-traded investment management firm to obtain acquisition financing for a $325+ million acquisition of a data center and technology park; transaction closed 18 days after our engagement.
- Closing counsel for a 99 property multistate net lease portfolio financing, on behalf of a subsidiary of a leading national bank.
- Represent a major national bank in connection with distressed debt portfolios, including hotel, office and multifamily assets, in California, Washington, DC, Florida, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York and Texas.
- Finance counsel to a major data center owner, including on construction loans for a series of developments that were net leased to a leading social media and technology company.
- Advised the agent on a $130 million syndicated construction mortgage loan facility, including in structuring and negotiating an intercreditor agreement with the holder of a separate $44 million bondable loan facility secured by a separate tranche of rent payments on the largest lease at the property.
- Counsel to a major foreign bank in connection with the negotiated workout of a defaulted loan on a net leased retail property whose tenant liquidated early in the COVID pandemic; the site was repurposed and the loan repaid in full.
- Represented a leading Canadian bank in connection with the origination and securitization of over $20 billion of commercial mortgage loans.
- Counsel to a major European bank on commercial mortgage loans secured by properties throughout the United States.
- Advised a mortgage lender and its servicer in connection with the recapitalization of the mezzanine and equity positions underlying a $180 million mortgage loan pool.
- Counsel to a state affordable housing finance authority in connection with all of its transactions with subordinate debt and/or unsubordinated ground leases.
Columbia Law SchoolJD
Managing Editor, Columbia Journal of Environmental Law1989
- Columbia CollegeBA1986
Vice-Chair, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section Committee on Commercial Real Estate Asset Management, American Bar Association, 1995-2000
- New York
- Author, NYC Lease Guarantors Gain Temporary Personal Liability Protections During COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 28, 2020
- Author, Freddie Mac Announces COVID-19 Forbearance Terms, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 26, 2020