Chris helps U.S. and international clients manage risk and solve their most challenging litigation issues. He advises and defends automotive, retail, consumer and healthcare industry clients in a range of high-exposure matters including product defects and recalls, consumer fraud and misrepresentation claims, commercial and regulatory claims, administrative appeals, and mass torts and class actions. With nearly 20 years of experience, Chris works with clients to understand their business and legal objectives and defend their interests in federal and state courts, arbitrations and administrative hearings nationwide.
Chris defends companies in mass tort and class action claims and associated regulatory investigations by state and federal agencies, including federal and state multi-district and coordinated litigation. He also represents corporate clients in prosecuting and defending commercial and arbitration claims. He represents clients in regulatory and administrative matters with a focus on environmental compliance, administrative appeals and environmental justice claims. He has served as national coordinating counsel for product manufacturers, defending pattern litigation and helping clients implement processes and protocols to reduce litigation risk. Chris has extensive experience in cases involving chemical and environmental exposures, electrical and mechanical products, fires and explosions, wrongful death and catastrophic injuries, and high-exposure property damage. He also counsels on workers’ compensation law and alcoholic beverage regulatory control.
Chris is an advocate for pro bono services, primarily representing victims of domestic violence who seek protective orders against their abusers. He is the current President of the Board of Directors of Central Virginia Legal Aid Society, and formerly served on the Board of Directors of the Legal Aid Justice Center. Chris is a past co-chair of McGuireWoods’ Richmond office Pro Bono Committee, and a former chair of the Richmond Bar Association’s Pro Bono Committee.
Chris earned his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he received the Robert K. Bellamy Scholarship and served on the board of the William Minor Lile Moot Court Competition.
- Defense of international automobile companies in thousands of claims in coordinated litigation alleging consumer fraud, and in federal class action litigation.
- Defense of retailer in federal multidistrict litigation alleging consumer fraud and mislabeling claims and in related state attorneys general investigations.
- Defense of component manufacturer in scalding case involving severe injuries to minor child. Won summary judgment.
- Defense of component manufacturer in gas explosion involving multiple fatalities at a chemical manufacturing company. Obtained voluntary dismissal of all claims.
- Defense of healthcare provider in medical malpractice wrongful-death case. Won jury verdict on all counts.
- University of Virginia School of LawJD2002
- University of RichmondMAEnglish1997
University of VirginiaBAEnglish
Member, Board of Directors, Central Virginia Legal Aid Society and Legal Aid Justice Center
Former Board Member, First Things First of Greater Richmond (now Relationship Foundation of Virginia)
Former Chair, Pro Bono Committee, Richmond Bar Association
Deacon, Third Church
- Co-author, Virginia Chapter, Product Liability Defenses: A State-by-State Compendium, 2017 edition
- Co-author, Discovery Under the 2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules: A Practical Guide, Product Liability Defenses: A State-by-State Compendium, Defense Research Institute, 2017 edition
- Co-author, "Virginia Chapter", Product Liability Defenses: A State-by-State Compendium, 2013 edition
- Co-author, "The New Federal Rules for Electronic Discovery: A Primer for Products Liability Counsel and Clients", Product Liability Defenses: A State-by-State Compendium, Defense Research Institute, 2007 edition
- Co-author, "Virginia Chapter", Product Liability Defenses: A State-by-State Compendium, 2007 edition
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Named to “Pro Bono Service Honor Roll,” Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2022