Danica Thompson is experienced in civic engagement with a focus in government relations. She currently serves as a vice president of state government relations where she provides strategic advice and lobbying services to help clients meet their corporate and public affairs objectives. She has extensive experience working with clients in the areas of education, healthcare, diagnostic laboratories, procurement and transportation on both the state and local levels.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods Consulting, Danica worked with state elected officials for 13 years at the Atlanta-based Georgia Legislative Black Caucus, Inc. Starting as a legislative intern, she seamlessly rose through the organization’s ranks to the position of executive director where she managed the daily operations of the caucus, coordinated legislative conferences, spearheaded the legislative intern program and ensured that the caucus fulfilled its mission to protect the general welfare of people of color, the disadvantaged and the underserved citizens throughout the state of Georgia.
Throughout her professional career Danica has committed herself to making a difference at work and within her community. She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., and the Georgia Women’s Policy Institute. Presently, Danica serves as chair of the National Black Caucus of State Legislators Corporate Roundtable Gaming, Sports and Entertainment Policy Committee, serves as a board member for the United Methodist Children’s Home, and volunteers as a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) to support children in foster care. She is a Council for Quality Growth Emerging Leader and serves as an ambassador with the Grady Ambassador Force, which consists of nearly 100 community leaders creating awareness and community support for the Grady Health System and chairs the Marsy’s Law for Georgia Advisory Committee to ensure victims of crime receive their constitutional rights in court proceedings.
Danica has been recognized by her peers as a Top and Rising Star lobbyist in the James magazine, acknowledged by the Atlanta Tribune for providing pro bono services related to changing age requirements in Georgia’s child marriage law, and named as Spelman College’s Fierce 40 Under 40 Alumni. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Spelman College and a Juris Doctorate from Birmingham School of Law.
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
Fellow, YWCA of Greater Atlanta/Georgia Women’s Policy Institute
Member, Executive Board member of African American Legislative Coordinating Committee of the National Black Caucus of State Legislative Black Caucus, Inc.
- Panelist, Employee Voter Engagement Webinar, September 24, 2020
- Speaker, Vison 20/20: Eradicating Poverty Symposium focused on Creating Sustainable Pathways to Prosperity, July 24-25, 2014
- Organizer, Children and Youth Symposium on Building Strategic Partnerships to Address the Needs of Children and Youth Specifically Poverty, Health and Juvenile Justice in African American Communities, November 8-9
- Coordinator, Energy and Telecommunications Symposium to Create Public Policies that Promote Innovation, Inclusion and Entrepreneurship to Close the Disparity Gaps in Energy and Telecommunication, August 16-17, 2013
- Director, Health Care Disparities in the African American Communities Symposium to Dismantle Disparities in the African American Communities in Georgia, July 8, 2013
- Manager, Educating Symposium on Creating Strategic Partnerships that Promote Excellence in Education for Georgia’s African American Communities, June 3, 2013
- Birmingham School of LawJD2010
Named Top Lobbyist, James Magazine, 2019-2021
Named Rising Star, James Magazine, 2018
- Author, Georgia Election Summary, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, November 10, 2016