Scott’s practice consists of the representation of clients engaged in the sale, acquisition, development, financing and refinancing of all types of commercial property, including sellers, buyers, developers and lenders.
He also has significant experience representing landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions, including the leasing of retail, office, warehouse and industrial properties, and including ground leases and leasehold financing transactions.
Scott’s experience includes the representation of clients in the development, financing, purchase and sale of hotel properties, and the management of the acquisition and disposition of real property in syndicated tenant-in-common (TIC) transactions.
He also represents redevelopment and housing authorities and other local government entities with respect to public procurement matters and conflicts of interest, and in fielding and responding to requests under the Freedom of Information Act. He advises local government clients with respect to the acquisition, disposition and leasing of real property, and has worked with those clients on public-private partnership transactions for the development of shopping centers, conference centers and hotels.
- Representation of a national banking association in the leasing of elements of its portfolio of office and retail banking space, and in the acquisition and disposition of its retail banking, office and other assets, across the United States.
- Representation of a real estate investment trust and its affiliates in the acquisition of residential apartment properties located across the United States, including several syndicated tenant-in-common (TIC) investment transactions.
- Representation of a leading regional grocery store chain in the management of its portfolio of leased properties, including drafting and negotiating leases, lease amendments and financing documents, and other related matters.
- Representation of a major retail electronics chain in the leasing and development of several of its stores across the United States.
- Representation of a private equity group in the sale of its portfolio of more than 20 banking properties across the United States.
- Representation of a real estate investment trust in the acquisition of numerous hotel properties across the United States.
- Representation of a real estate investment trust in the management and leasing of its substantial portfolio of office and warehouse properties.
William & Mary Law SchoolJD
Member, William & Mary Law Review2003
- Wake Forest UniversityBA2000
Member, Virginia Bar Association
Member; Executive Committee, Real Estate Section; Richmond Bar Association
- Panelist, "Negotiating Exclusive Use and Restrictive Covenant Provisions in Office and Retail Leases", Strafford Publications, Legal Webinar, April 2, 2015
- Speaker, "Negotiating Commercial Leases", Landlord and Tenant Law in Virginia, Lorman Education Services, December 2013
- Speaker, "Avoiding Hidden Issues in Commercial Leases", Association of Corporate Counsel Real Estate Committee, November 2012
- Speaker, "The Uniform Electronic Transactions Act: Written Contracts in the Digital Age", VOWRA Fall Conference, October 2011, 2012, 2013
- Speaker, "Overview of M&A Issues for Non-M&A Lawyers", ACC Real Estate Committee, July 19, 2012
- Speaker, "Basic Contract Principles", Virginia Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association, Fall Conference, October 2009, 2010
Named to “Legal Elite,” Real Estate/Land Use, Virginia Business, 2020, 2021, 2023
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2018-2024
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Real Estate, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2009, 2012-2018
- Author, Virginia Governor Signs Bill Reversing Game Place Decision: Leases for More Than Five Years No Longer Must Be in the Form of a Deed, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 14, 2019
- Author, Virginia Supreme Court Requires Formalities of a Deed for Long-Term Leases, McGuireWoods Legal Insights, June 15, 2018
- Author, Focus On Exclusive Use Clauses in Retail Leasing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 20, 2014