Gino is a partner in the firm’s Tysons office. He has focused his practice exclusively on the needs of high net worth families for his entire legal career of more than 20 years in the Washington, DC region.
He represents individuals on their estate planning matters, focusing on planning for gift taxes, estate taxes and generation-skipping transfer taxes. This often involves probate estate administration, the filing of estate tax returns and conducting tax audits with the Internal Revenue Service. He also advises owners of closely held and family owned businesses on the orderly and tax efficient transfer of the businesses to successive generations.
Gino has advised clients on successfully using trusts to pass wealth to multiple generations and using charitable trusts to achieve their charitable goals. Gino advises clients on asset-protection strategies, which often involves the use of trusts, but also can involve drafting pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements. His experience with trusts includes representing both trustees and beneficiaries in disputes over trust matters, focusing on how disputes can be avoided and resolved.
Gino was a founding member of the board of directors of HandsOn Greater DC Cares, a 501(c)(3) organization that is a leading coordinator of volunteerism in the Washington, D.C., region.
- Representation of a family owned real estate business over many years in transferring business and family wealth to multiple generations in a tax efficient manner.
- Representation of a husband and wife in creating multiple trusts to potentially pass a residence and private equity investments to multiple generations using the available combined $10 million federal gift tax and generation-skipping transfer tax exemptions.
- Representation of the owners of a community bank in resolving disputes related to the death of a shareholder.
- Representation of a decedent’s estate in a federal estate tax audit that involved valuation discounts available to interests in a closely held business and that was resolved at the initial audit level.
- Representation of a public charity in the role of general counsel.
- Representation of a trustee in a state court action to modify an irrevocable trust to extend the term of the trust for the benefit of multiple generations.
- District of Columbia
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, Woodward/White, Inc., 2006-2024
Selected for inclusion, Private Wealth Law, District of Columbia, Band 3, Chambers HNW Guide, 2019-2023
Named to “Legal Elite,” Taxes/Estates/Trusts, Virginia Business, 2021
Named to “Baltimore and Washington, D.C., Best Lawyers, 2012 Edition” The Washington Post
AV Rated, Martindale Hubble
- Author, Estate Tax Exemptions in the Capital Region: D.C. Decouples, Maryland Caps, Virginia Holds Out, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 15, 2018
- Author, Recent Fiduciary Cases of Interest to Corporate Fiduciaries: July 2010, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 8, 2010
- Author, Recent Fiduciary Cases of Interest to Corporate Fiduciaries: June 2010, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 1, 2010
- Author, Recent Fiduciary Cases of Interest to Corporate Fiduciaries: May 2010, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 3, 2010
- Author, Crawford Supply Group, Inc. v. LaSalle Bank, N.A. 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 4691 (N.D. Ill. 2010), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 11, 2010
- Author, California Trust Case: Steinhart v. County of Los Angeles, 2010 Cal. LEXIS 869 (Feb. 4, 2010), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 17, 2010
- Author, Recent Fiduciary Cases of Interest to Corporate Fiduciaries: February 2010, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 16, 2010
- Author, California Guardianship Case: Suleman v. Superior Court of Orange County, 2010 Cal. App. LEXIS 8 (January 8, 2010), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 5, 2010
- Author, California Trust Case: Rudnick v. Rudnick, 179 Cal. App. 4th 1328 (December 2, 2009), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 5, 2010
- Author, California Trust Case: Chatard v. Oveross, 179 Cal. App. 4th 1098 (Nov. 30, 2009), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 4, 2010
- Author, Recent New York Fiduciary Cases, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 21, 2010
- Author, California Trust Case: Presta v. Tepper, 179 Cal. App. 4th 909 (Oct. 28, 2009), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 20, 2010
- Author, California Trust Case: King v. Johnston, 178 Cal. App. 4th 1488 (Nov. 9, 2009), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 20, 2010
- Author, Illinois Fiduciary Case: Citizens National Bank v. Kids Hope United, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 14, 2010
- Author, Recent Virginia Fiduciary Case – Harbour v. SunTrust Bank, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 16, 2009
- Author, Trust Provision Mandating Drafting Attorney’s Consent Prior to Modification Upheld, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 2, 2009
- Author, Recent Fiduciary Cases of Interest to Corporate Fiduciaries: October 2009, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 22, 2009
Georgetown University Law CenterJD
magna cum laude, Administrative Editor, Georgetown Law Journal1986
summa cum laude1983
Member, Washington D.C. Estate Planning Council
- Speaker, "Disclaimer Planning", New Developments in Tax and Wealth Planning, October 28, 2021
- Speaker, "Building Your Company for Growth and Successful Exit", McGuireWoods LLP 2010 Seminar Series, McGuireWoods LLP, January 2010