The past decade has been a difficult one for the aviation industry. Enhanced security requirements, rising fuel costs, environmental concerns, aging fleets that require replacement, and frequent labor disputes have all conspired to squeeze margins, cause bankruptcies, or prompt consolidation. Corporate aviation is subject to these same pressures, with the additional challenge that the down economy and public opinion have conspired to dampen the market for private planes, pushing down prices for general aviation aircraft.
Lawyers in McGuireWoods’ aviation practice have broad experience in the aviation industry. We represent equity investors, lenders, agents, lessors, lessees, and borrowers in aircraft financing transactions, purchasers and sellers of general aviation and commercial aircraft and engines, general aviation aircraft owners, commercial airlines, and aircraft and engine manufacturers.
We assist our aviation clients in the following areas:
- Acquisitions and sales of portfolios of leases and loans, as well as individual transactions
- Purchases and sales of general aviation and commercial aircraft and engines
- Financing transactions:
- domestic and cross-border leveraged leases
- capital, operating, synthetic and true leases
- loans in syndicated and single-investor structures
- progress payment financing
- Structuring ownership and use of general aviation aircraft to comply with the Federal Aviation Regulations
- Management and pilot services agreements for general aviation aircraft
- Tax advice related to sales and use taxes and federal excise tax
- Restructuring and insolvency issues, including foreclosures, disputes and repossessions
- Public affairs
- Export of aircraft and engines abroad