The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit continues to decide many of the nation’s most important legal issues — and a number of its most interesting ones. Think hot-button legal issues, ranging from constitutional questions of transgender rights, prayer, and gun control, to weighty business issues like arbitration, whistleblower protection, and foreign trademarks.
McGuireWoods’ appeals and issues team provided a discussion of matters at the core of the country’s political, legislative, and cultural agenda.
We briefed you on the practical concerns of the most important business cases on the 4th Circuit’s docket, while also providing background on cases that are sure to be the topics of conversation at the water cooler, at the cocktail party, and even at home.
- Presentation slides
- Fourth Circuit Affirms Denial of Coverage for Accidental Gunshot Injury
- G.G. ex rel. Grimm v. Gloucester County School Bd.
- American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina v. Tennyson
- Belmore LLC V. Bayer Consumer Care AG
- Class v. Towson University
- Fourth Circuit Joins Courts in Pennsylvania and Ohio in Holding that Dual Purpose Oil and Gas Lease Is Not Severable
- Fourth Circuit Rules that Title IX Extends to Transgender Bathroom Access
- Fourth Circuit Affirms Insurance Coverage for Cyber Claim Under CGL Policy
- ObamaCourts?: The Impact of Judicial Nominations on Court Ideology
- The Clash of Old and New Fourth Circuit Ideologies: Boyer-Liberto v. Fontainebleau Corp. and the Moderations of the Fourth Circuit
- Travelers Indem. Co. of America v. Portal Healthcare LLC
- United States v. Graham
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. CONSOL Energy, Inc.
- U.S. v. McDonnell
- Kolbe v. Hogan
- McDonnell v. U.S.
- North Carolina State Conference of NAACP v. McCrory
- Fourth Circuit to Weigh in on Use of Statistical Sampling in False Claims Act Cases
- Significant recent decisions for businesses and their practical implications
- The year’s most interesting cases from the 4th Circuit
- Recent trends in the 4th Circuit that may impact businesses
- How the 4th Circuit fared in the U.S. Supreme Court
- Upcoming cases before the 4th Circuit
- Speculation on the future direction of the court
- Matthew A. Fitzgerald, Partner
- Katherine Mims Crocker, Associate
- Wm. Grayson Lambert, Associate
- R. Trent Taylor, Partner (Moderator)