3-5:15 p.m. Program
Reception to follow
McGuireWoods invites you and your colleagues to attend Tom Spahn’s annual fall ethics program. The two-hour interactive program uses hypotheticals to explore situations in which lawyers’ interests might conflict with their clients’ interests.
- Applicability of ethics rules to lawyers’ nonlegal activities
- Doing business with clients
- Accepting gifts from clients
- Representing unpopular clients
- Lawyers agreeing to limit their practice in partnership agreements or legal settlements
- Limiting liability to clients
- Disclosing malpractice to clients
- Resolving disputes with clients
- File ownership after representations end
- Duty to protect former clients
Thomas E. Spahn, Counsel, McGuireWoods LLP
Spahn has served on the ABA Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility, and has spoken at more than 2,000 CLE programs on ethics and other topics. Tom was selected as the 2013 and 2020 metro-Washington, D.C., “Lawyer of the Year” for “Bet the Company Litigation” by Best Lawyers®.
We are seeking 2 hours of ethics MCLE credits for this program.
For more information, please contact Bridget Light at [email protected].
Our programs are intended for the benefit of our clients and contacts and we reserve the right to refuse any registration at our sole discretion.