Mebs specialises in advising multinationals, capital providers, independent sponsors, family offices, private equity portfolio companies and executives on a variety of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, co- investments, leveraged buy-outs, joint ventures, restructuring, setting up operations in the UK, structured equity investments, divestitures, commercial/supply chain transactions and corporate governance matters. He also advises emerging-growth and early-stage companies.
His practice over the years has focused on UK inbound work from various jurisdictions, in particular the US and Canada and have involved a diverse scope of industries including health care, private equity, energy, pharmaceuticals, consumer goods and services, technology and financial services.
In addition, Mebs advises on securities and corporate finance transactions including listings on the AIM and Main Market of the London Stock Exchange, delistings, continuing obligations, Takeover Panel rules and insider dealing rules.
Mebs also specialises in compliance with UK and EU data protection laws, in particular EU-US cross-border data transfers, GDPR compliance by US and Canadian multinationals which are within scope of the GDPR and security incident responses. He holds the CIPP/E certification as a Certified Information Privacy Professional from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Mebs is also a Governing Partner of McGuireWoods London and holds other compliance positions with the firm.
- Representation of a leading provider of care home services on the acquisition of a UK based business.
- Representation of a leading global independent loss adjuster on its merger with a major player based in the UK and subsequent acquisition of businesses
in the UK and Europe.
- Representation of a Swedish listed business on the acquisition of property leasehold interest in the UK.
- Representation of NYSE listed GNC on its cash acquisition of Discount Supplements, the United
Kingdom’s largest multi-brand sports nutrition e-tailer.
- Representation of the Nomad on the listing on AIM of MoneySwap plc, a specialist foreign exchange service provider in Asia with a market capitalisation
- Representation of a leading vendor management systems provider on the acquisition of property leasehold interest in London.
- Representation of an investment bank on secondary financing by various AIM companies with assets in Russia, Middle East and USA.
- Representation of NYSE-listed Teledyne Technologies Incorporated on its acquisition of UK-based, AIM-listed Intelek PLC worth approximately £30 million.
- Representation of various mineral and energy companies with assets based in CIS and Latin America, advising on acquisition of assets and associated
rights, private and institutional fundraising (US$10 to US$125) and listing on the AIM market.
- Representation of a Middle Eastern client on the purchases of hotel businesses (including freehold and leasehold properties) for consideration in excess
- Representation of a client on setting up a multimillion dollar private equity fund in the Middle East.
- Representation of large corporations on setting up of their operations in the financial centres and free-zones in the GCC region.
- Representation of a client in the first ever court case in the Qatar Finance Centre in winding-up of a joint-venture.
- Representation of a U.S. major on its planning and implementation of post-acquisition integration involving 11 jurisdictions.
- Representation of a large medical devices corporation on the post-acquisition integration involving 13 jurisdictions in Europe, North America, Middle
East and Asia.
- Representation of U.S. multinationals on data transfers from EEA countries and compliance with EU data privacy requirements.
- Representation of an EU-based structured investment company on passporting its regulatory authorizations into the UK, its UK operations, and ongoing
- Representation of an investment bank on an abortive cross-border U.S. $50 million IPO fundraising and admission to AIM of a Middle Eastern produce
- Representation of Petrolatina Plc (formerly Taghmen Energy plc) on its admission to AIM subsequent to its private placement of US $20 million.
- Representation of a UK-based Latin American resources company on its cross-border acquisition of various mining properties, pre-IPO funding totaling US
$60 million, and aborted reverse into an AIM-listed company.
- Solicitor England and Wales
Named a “Recommended Lawyer,” M&A: Smaller Deals Up to £50m: Tier 2, The Legal 500 UK, 2022
Selected for inclusion in The Legal 500 UK, Flotations: small and mid-cap, 2012
- Speaker, "Where Marketers and Attorneys Learn to Speak the Same Language ", Frenemies Video Series, October 2020 - April 2021
- Host, "The One Where Europe Made Privacy Matter: 10 Simple Things for Marketers to Know About GDPR", Frenemies Video Series, April 1, 2021
- Speaker, EU Privacy for U.S. Companies, March 1, 2018
- Speaker, "EU’s New Market Abuse Regulations (MAR)", SEC Compliance and Disclosure Update, McGuireWoods LLP SEC Practice Complimentary Webinar Series, October 25, 2016
- Speaker, European Data Protection and Security Conference, McGuireWoods Complimentary Seminar, November 3, 2015
- Speaker, "A Growth Market for International Companies", Raising Your Game through AIM, Complimentary Webinar, September 25, 2013
- Co-presenter, "DPA Findings in the UK, France, Belgium, US, Saudi Arabia and India & Likely Impact of New EU Data Protection Regulation" and "Cross-border Transfers and the Status of the European Acceptance of Safe Harbor & HIPPA and its Effect on EY Organizations", Second Annual London Data Privacy and Security Conference, May 15, 2013
- Speaker, Managing Employees in Extraordinary Circumstances, April 18, 2013
- Speaker, "Data Protection Liabilities for Indian Businesses in the U.S., UK and India", A Passage to India (and Back), December 5, 2012
- Co-presenter, "International Transfers of Personal Data", Mind the Gap: Navigating Data Privacy and Security Policies, May 24, 2012
- Speaker, SEC Reporting & Enforcement Update, January 13, 2010
- The University of Law, GuildfordLPC1996
University of HertfordshireLLB
Member, Law Society of England & Wales
Member, Next Generation, UK India Business Council, 2008-present
- Author, Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Act Becomes Law: What Companies Need to Know, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 26, 2023
- Author, Companies House Reforms: The Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Bill, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 10, 2023
- Author, Register of Overseas Entities – How to Ensure Overseas Entities Can Buy or Sell UK Real Estate, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 16, 2022
- Contributor, Part 1: Cybersecurity, Global Investigations Review's The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations: Sixth Edition, 2022
- Co-author, "What Lies Ahead? Energy and Climate Change", Meet McGuireWoods London, June 30, 2021
- Co-author, "What Lies Ahead? Data Privacy and Security", Meet McGuireWoods London, June 24, 2021
- Quoted, "EU probes of Microsoft, Amazon reignite calls for new Privacy Shield", Compliance Week, June 3, 2021
- Co-author, "What Lies Ahead? Global Mergers & Acquisitions", Meet McGuireWoods London, May 19, 2021
- Author, FCA to Consult on Amendments to UK Listing Rules for Special Purpose Acquisition Companies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 13, 2021
- Contributor, Chapter 41: Cybersecurity, Global Investigations Review's The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations: Fifth Edition, 2021
- Author, M&A Pricing Structures in Uncertain Times, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 7, 2020
- Author, ECJ Invalidates the EU-US Privacy Shield! How Safe is it to Use SCCs for Data Transfers from the EU to the US?, Password Protected, July 16, 2020
- Author, EU Court to Deliver Judgment on the Validity of Standard Contractual Clauses on July 16, Password Protected, June 12, 2020
- Author, New FCA Measures to Aid UK-Regulated Market and SME Growth Market Companies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 21, 2020
- Author, Changes to UK Insolvency Law to Mitigate the Economic Impact of COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 3, 2020
- Author, British Government Announces £350 Billion Aid Package for UK Businesses, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2020
- Author, EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Passes Third Annual Review, Password Protected, November 5, 2019
- Author, Measure of Damages for Breach of Warranty, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 11, 2019
- Author, Companies: Beware of Relying on Precontractual Negotiations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 10, 2019
- Author, Breach of Fiduciary Duties by a Dissenting Director, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2019
- Author, A Dividend Payment Can Constitute a Transaction Defrauding Creditors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 20, 2019
- Author, U.S. Companies: Are You Ready for GDPR?, Password Protected, March 14, 2018
- Author, eCall: Privacy and Data Protection Implications, Password Protected, February 15, 2018
- Author, UK Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds, Take Note: New PFLP, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 14, 2017
- Author, Further Reforms to the ‘Persons With Significant Control’ Regime, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 12, 2016
- Author, Time Will Tell: Implications of the Recently Adopted EU – U.S. Data Transfer Framework, Password Protected, July 15, 2016
- Author, "Now Required in UK: Register of People with Significant Control", Password Protected, April 14, 2016
- Author, UK: Register of People with Significant Control, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 13, 2016
- Author, Replacing Safe Harbor: EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Announced, Password Protected, February 3, 2016
- Author, EU and U.S. Reach “Umbrella Agreement” on Data Transfers, Password Protected, September 14, 2015
- Author, U.S. Department of Treasury Adopts New Sanctions Against Russia, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 1, 2014
- Author, EU, U.S. Slap Sanctions on Russian and Ukrainian Officials, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 18, 2014
- Author, "SME’S should realise the benefits of taking AIM", Global Banking and Finance Review, March 2014
- Author, "Why SMEs should take AIM on raising finance", Economia, February 2014
- Author, "Africa’s SMEs should aim for UK Investment", African Business Review, December 2013
- Author, "Taking AIM", Finance Monthly, September 2013
- Author, How Tweet It Is – The SEC Provides Reg FD Guidance on the Use of Social Media, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 10, 2013
- Author, Swaps End-User Update: Relief from Certain Swap Reporting Requirements for Inter-Affiliate Swaps, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 8, 2013
- Author, "SEC Proposals for Offshore Advisers", February 9, 2011
- Author, New Anti-Bribery Standards Could Become Law in the United Kingdom, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 14, 2009
- Author, "Report on Principle UK Legal and Tax Developments (April 2007 – May 2008)", May 8, 2008