Derek advises high-net-worth individuals, family offices and corporate institutions in a variety of areas, assisting them through complex matters in the areas of estate and wealth transfer planning, family business succession, creating and implementing tax-efficient strategies, and estate and trust administration.
Before joining McGuireWoods LLP, Derek worked as an associate at a Chicago-based law firm, where he focused his practice on tax and estate planning, as well as general business matters and probate administration.
Derek is licensed to practice in Illinois and North Carolina. He holds a Juris Doctor from Chicago-Kent College of Law. He received a bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies from Appalachian State University in North Carolina.
- North Carolina
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of TechnologyJDBusiness Law Certificate2018
- Appalachian State UniversityBSCommunication Studies2014
- Author, Recent Cases of Interest to Fiduciaries: May 2023, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 9, 2023
- Author, N.C. Adopts Remote Online Notarizing, Extends Emergency Video Notarizing and Witnessing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 7, 2022
- Author, Recent Cases of Interest to Fiduciaries: July 2022, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 19, 2022
- Author, Recent Cases of Interest to Fiduciaries: November 2021, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 11, 2021