William focuses his practice on commercial real estate development. His practice includes the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of office, retail, and other commercial properties. He also assists businesses with commercial leases and non-real estate private equity clients with the real estate aspects of acquisition and sale transactions.
William is a LEED Accredited Professional (LEED-AP), a distinction he earned through the Green Building Certification Institute. As a LEED-AP, he has demonstrated a thorough understanding of green building practices and principles as well as the LEED Rating System.
- Represented developers in connection with the acquisition, financing, development, leasing, and sale of retail “power centers” and single tenant retail facilities.
- Represented business tenants in negotiation of office and warehouse leases.
- Served as local counsel to out-of-state institutional investors in connection with the acquisition and financing of retail and office complexes in the Charlotte, N.C., area.
- Represented business tenant regarding a substantial office lease involving over 200,000 square feet of space.
- Represented financial institutions in the disposition of owned real property.
- Represented a leading financial Institution in the acquisition through affiliates of office buildings in Florida, Texas and North Carolina
- Represented a leading national real estate investment firm as local counsel for the acquisition of multi-family properties in North Carolina
- Represented a regional food distribution company and affiliated grocery store chain in the acquisition and development of grocery-anchored retail centers in North and South Carolina
- University of Virginia School of LawJD1989
The University of North Carolina at Chapel HillBAHistory
with Honors, Morehead Scholar1984
Board of Directors, KinderMourn, Inc., 2011-2017
Past Chair, Brain Tumor Advisory Board, Duke University Medical Center
Co-Founder, Hopebuilders 5K Walk/Run
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2009-2016, 2018-2024
Named to “Legal Elite,” Real Estate, Business North Carolina, 2023
Selected for inclusion into the North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2020, 2021
Named to “40 Under 40,” Charlotte Business Journal, 2001