Salwa advises and represents financial institutions and retailers in a range of consumer finance-related litigation in state, federal, and bankruptcy matters.
Salwa regularly represents financial institutions on cases relating to the lender liability defense, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act, and unfair business practice laws. Salwa advocates for her clients throughout the various stages of litigation, including drafting and responding to pleadings, handling discovery, dispositive motions, and achieving favorable settlement outcomes.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Salwa clerked with FINRA’s Litigation and Policy division in Washington, DC.
During law school, Salwa gained valuable insights while working with the California Department of Justice’s Office of the Attorney General, Securities Exchange Commission’s Division of Enforcement, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s Office of Enforcement.
- The George Washington University Law SchoolJD
- University of California, RiversideBAEconomics and Administrative Studies with focus in Financial Accounting
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Author, Opportunity Financial Lawsuit Against California Regulator Continues Fight Over “True Lender” Rule, Consumer FinSights, May 12, 2022
- Author, OCC’s Fintech Charter Survives After Reversal in the Second Circuit, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 15, 2021
- Author, Oral Arguments Held in Challenge to OCC’s Fintech Charter, Consumer Finsights, March 24, 2021
- Author, States Sue to Set Aside OCC’s True Lender Rule, Consumer FinSights, January 7, 2021
- Author, OCC Issues Final “True Lender” Rule to Provide Clarity for Bank Lending Partnerships, Consumer FinSights, October 30, 2020
- Co-author, "The ‘true lender’ rule and the battle over the bank partnership model", Los Angeles & San Francisco Daily Journal, October 12, 2020
- Author, OCC’s Attempt at Clarifying “True Lender” Principle Met with Mixed Results, Consumer FinSights, September 18, 2020
- Author, New York, California and Illinois – the First to Challenge to the OCC’s Valid-When-Made Rule, Consumer FinSights, August 3, 2020
- Author, New York Files Brief in Support of Dismantling OCC’s Fintech Charter, Consumer FinSights, July 28, 2020
- Author, OCC Clarifies the “Valid When Made” Principle, Consumer FinSights, June 5, 2020
- Author, OCC Urges Second Circuit to Reverse Fintech Charter Decision, Consumer FinSights, May 1, 2020