Mona is a senior vice president in the federal public affairs team at McGuireWoods Consulting and advises clients on a variety of issues and helps strategize their engagement with the U.S. Congress and the Biden Administration.
Mona is among The Hill’s 2022 Top Lobbyist rankings for the fifth consecutive year. As a member of the firm’s national practice, Mona serves as a primary liaison with Democratic elected officials across the country, including governors and attorneys general. She formerly served as co-chair of the McGuireWoods Consulting Pro Bono Committee and is a member of the McGuireWoods LLP Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Prior to McGuireWoods Consulting, Mona was the director of policy and communications at the Democratic Governors Association. She also served in the Clinton/Gore Administration as associate director for the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs at the White House and director of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs at the U.S. Department of Labor under Secretary Alexis Herman. She has more than 20 years of campaign and political experience, including several presidential and gubernatorial campaigns. She served as political director for former Vice President Al Gore’s political action committee, developing political strategies for the former vice president to support Democratic candidates nationally.
Mona is on the Board of Directors of the Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies, a national nonpartisan organization dedicated to promoting Asian American and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander participation and representation at all levels of the political process. She is a member of Board of Emerge, an organization that recruits and trains Democratic women who want to run for political office. She was a member of the Democratic National Committee for eight years, during which time she was vice chair of the Asian American and Pacific Islander Caucus.
Mona has a B.A. from Wellesley College and M.P.A. from the Harvard Kennedy School. She is a native of Stamford, Connecticut.
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
- Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of GovernmentMPA2006
Wellesley CollegeBAPolitical Science
Named “Top Lobbyist,” The Hill, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Author, State Attorneys General Activity on the Rise, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 22, 2023
- Co-author, "‘Makhani’ and the Limited Subject-Matter Jurisdiction of State Attorneys General", New York Law Journal, May 12, 2023
- Author, Congressional Investigations: A Month In, Congress Signals Close Scrutiny of CARES Act and Paycheck Protection Program, Subject to Inquiry, May 1, 2020
- Author, Congressional Investigations: Beyond Sensational Headlines — Incoming House Leaders Announce Broad Investigative Priorities Targeting Business Community, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 19, 2018
- Author, Election Alert: Summary of Gubernatorial and Attorney General Races, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, November 10, 2016
- Author, Proposed Rule Would Allow Medicare Advantage Plans to Limit Patient Choice of Medical Devices, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 7, 2011
- Author, Senate Finance Committee Bill: Highlighting Provisions for Post-Acute Care Providers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 22, 2009
Board Member, Asian American Action Fund
Former Member, Democratic National Committee
- Speaker, "Inside the Beltway – A Post-Election Update on Washington", Wealth Planning Scouting Report, Washington, D.C., November 10, 2022
- Panelist, 2020 Election Recap: Gubernatorial, Attorneys General and State Legislative Races, November 9, 2020
- Panelist, Election Insights Part III: Presidential, U.S. Senate and House Races, October 22, 2020
- Panelist, Election Insights: Gubernatorial, Attorneys General and State Legislative Races, October 1, 2020
- Panelist, Election Insights: Presidential, U.S. House and Senate Races, September 16, 2020
- Speaker, "Washington Update", 14th Annual Fiduciary Advisory Services Seminar, Wednesday, October 2, 2019
- Speaker, The President’s Inaugural Address, FY2014 Budget and State of the Union, McGuireWoods Complimentary Webinar, February 19, 2013