Francis focuses his practice on representing healthcare providers and companies in corporate, transactional, and regulatory compliance matters.
Francis regularly advises healthcare providers on various legal issues concerning contract drafting, interpretation, and negotiation; general corporate governance and business matters, including entity formation and structuring, and drafting governing documents, subscription agreements, buy and sell agreements, management agreements, and physician and non-physician provider employment agreements; mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations; regulatory compliance, including fraud and abuse, the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law, corporate practice of medicine doctrines; and day-to-day operational matters.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Francis worked at a national health care law firm, where he developed significant experience serving as transaction counsel to hospitals, health systems, physician and dental practices, and other providers in acquisitions, mergers, member substitution agreements, and other types of affiliations.
While earning his law degree at the University of Richmond, Francis served as the editor-in-chief of the University of Richmond Journal of Law and Technology.
- Represented numerous physicians and dentists in practice sales and acquisitions.
- Advised a regional non-profit health care system in the sale of its behavioral health care facilities to a national provider in the special education sector.
- Advised a physical therapy provider in the sale of its facilities and business to a national leader in physical therapy services.
- Counseled a health system in the acquisition of a community hospital.
- Advised numerous healthcare clients, including physician groups and hospitals, on the Stark Law, federal Anti-Kickback Statute, and state fraud and abuse regulations.
- University of Richmond School of LawJD2012
- Wake Forest UniversityBA2006
Member, American Health Law Association
Member, American Bar Association
- Author, Complex AKS/Stark Complaint Survives Rule 9(b) Particularity Challenge – A Guide for FCA Complaints, The FCA Insider, July 14, 2023
- Author, Alleged Emergency Room Advanced Professional Practitioner Billing Scheme FCA Case Proceeds, The FCA Insider, May 4, 2021
- Author, Representations and Warranties Insurance: An Essential Component of Healthcare Mergers and Acquisitions, American Bar Association Health eSource, December 15, 2020