Ed has extensive experience with transactions involving the acquisition, disposition, development, financing and refinancing of all types of commercial real estate and the leasing and subleasing of retail, office and industrial properties.
He represents sellers, purchasers, developers, lenders, landlords and tenants in all aspects of these transactions, including the preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale contracts, development agreements, loan documents, conveyance documents, ground leases, leases and subleases.
He also has extensive experience in the areas of leasehold financing, including synthetic lease and sale/leaseback work, and public-private partnerships.
- Representation of tenant in a build-to-suit lease for its corporate headquarters.
- Representation of redevelopment authorities in affordable housing projects involving HOPE VI funds and low income housing tax credits.
- Representation of landlords and tenants in the negotiation of rooftop solar leases.
- Representation of a national retailer in leasing transactions throughout the United States.
- Representation of purchaser in the acquisition of land for development of a call center.
- Representation of developer of a mixed-use project to be constructed on 75 acres in Northern Virginia.
The University of Mississippi School of Law Robert C. Khayat Law CenterJD
magna cum laude1992
University of RichmondBA
magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa1989
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2018-2024
- Author, Knives Out: The Landlord’s Response to Victoria’s Secret, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 9, 2020
- Author, Tenants Strike Back: Doctrines of Frustration of Purpose and Impossibility of Performance, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 11, 2020
- Author, Focus On Exclusive Use Clauses in Retail Leasing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 20, 2014
- Author, 2014 Virginia Legislation Affecting Real Estate Industry, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 30, 2014
- Panelist, "What Do You Mean My Real Estate Lease is not a Ground Lease", ACC Annual Convention, October 25, 2011
- Speaker, Public/Private Partnerships and Major Infrastructure Construction, December 8, 2009