Tim focuses his practice on regulatory compliance, litigation, and strategic planning for large regulated public utility and energy clients. He helps these clients develop and implement regulatory strategies in support of their business goals, including representing and advising them in regulatory litigation before the Virginia State Corporation Commission and other forums.
Tim has led cases for clients in traditional base rate and rider cost recovery proceedings, and has advised clients in emerging energy markets, including first-of-its-kind proceedings in Virginia on utility-scale offshore wind and community solar programs. Tim has also provided regulatory support for large energy-sector business combinations and utilities’ legislative objectives.
In addition to his regulatory practice, Tim is co-lead for education advocacy matters in the VCU Health System Medical-Legal Partnership with McGuireWoods, Dominion Energy, and Truist, a partnership that offers free legal advice and representation for eligible patients and families.
- Representation of electric utility in $14 billion merger approval proceeding and related litigation.
- Representation of electric utility in first-of-its-kind regulatory approval for largest offshore wind project in United States.
- Representation of electric and natural gas utilities in general ratemaking proceedings before state regulatory commissions.
- Consultation with electric utilities to provide regulatory guidance in support of legislative efforts.
- Representation of electric utilities in proceedings to certify and recover costs of new generation and transmission facilities.
- Representation of electric and natural gas utilities in proceedings for approval of affiliate agreements, asset transfers, and financing applications.
- Representation of electric utility in cost recovery proceedings related to coal ash remediation and environmental compliance costs.
- Representation of electric and natural gas utilities in rulemaking proceedings to revise regulations and implement new legislation.
University of Richmond School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Articles Editor, University of Richmond Law Review2015
- University of RichmondBA2010
Membership Committee, Richmond Bar Association
Board of Governors, Administrative Law Section, Virginia State Bar
Member, John Marshall American Inn of Court
Co-Chair, Education Advocacy Group, VCU Health Medical-Legal Partnership