Anne Curtis focuses her practice on the areas of public finance, federal and state taxation, and municipal securities, serving as bond counsel, borrower’s counsel, underwriter’s counsel, or issuer’s counsel in tax-exempt and taxable bond financings.
Her experience includes private activity bond financings for a variety of nonprofit organizations, including educational institutions, hospitals and healthcare facilities, and retirement living facilities, multifamily affordable housing projects, and solid waste disposal facilities, as well as governmental bond issues, including general obligation, revenue, and “subject to appropriation” financings for water and sewer projects, public schools and roads, commuter rail and other transportation facilities. As bond counsel and borrower’s counsel, Anne Curtis has counseled clients on various corporate and tax matters, real estate issues, and securities regulation, and as underwriter’s counsel, she has counseled clients on compliance with securities laws and regulations, including those related to disclosure. In all matters, Anne Curtis views her purpose as assisting in structuring transactions in an efficient and tax-advantaged way.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Anne Curtis served as a law clerk to the Honorable Steven C. McCallum of the Chesterfield Circuit Court. While in law school, Anne Curtis served as a Manuscripts Editor for the Richmond Journal of Law and Technology. Upon graduation, she was inducted into the Order of the Coif.
- Bond counsel to numerous state and local government entities and bond counsel and borrower’s counsel to numerous 501(c)(3) organizations in connection with various types of tax-advantaged bond issues, including bond counsel for a university’s issuance of century bonds.
- Bond counsel to numerous Virginia local authorities in connection with multifamily housing revenue bonds, often combined with 4% tax credits.
- Underwriter’s counsel on numerous financings for continuing care retirement facilities and private, nonprofit colleges and universities.
- Bond counsel and borrower’s counsel to a nonprofit retirement community involving the combination of obligated groups.
University of Richmond School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Manuscripts Editor, Richmond Journal of Law and Technology2015
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBA2011
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Public Finance Law, 2022, 2023, 2024
Recipient, “Rising Star Award,” Virginia Chapter, Women in Public Finance, 2022
- Hon. Steven C. McCallum, Virginia Chesterfield Circuit Court, 2015-2017