Jake focuses his practice on transactional and advisory matters, primarily involving renewable and conventional energy (particularly solar, wind and energy storage) as well as electric vehicles and EV technologies.
Jake represents and advises purchasers and sellers, both private and public companies, in project M&A transactions, mergers and acquisitions of platforms and operating companies, and joint ventures. In addition to his mergers and acquisitions work, Jake advises clients on general corporate matters.
Before joining McGuireWoods, Jake was an associate at a leading international law firm in New York. While in law school, Jake served on the editorial board of the Virginia Journal of International Law, was a chair for diversity of the Student Bar Association and was the pro bono coordinator for the Virginia Environmental Law Forum. In addition, Jake interned with the Honorable Jerome B. Friedman, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Representation of Dominion Energy, Inc. in the $13.4 billion merger with SCANA Corporation.
- Representation of Dominion Energy, Inc. in the $4.4 billion acquisition, plus the assumption of debt for an enterprise value of approximately $6 billion, of Questar Corporation.
- Representation of Dominion Energy, Inc. in the $3.3 billion sale of 50% noncontrolling limited partner interest in Cove Point LNG, LP, a natural gas pipeline and liquefied natural gas terminal located in Lusby, Maryland, to Berkshire Hathaway Energy.
- Representation of Dominion Energy, Inc. in the acquisition of Southern Co.’s 5% stake in the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, a 600-mile pipeline and gas transmission assets which run through West Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina, moving Appalachian Basin gas to Mid-Atlantic markets.
- Representation of Dominion Energy, Inc. in the acquisition of Southern Co.’s Pivotal LNG, a wholly owned subsidiary which distributes liquefied natural gas for marine and road transportation.
- Representation of a utility in the negotiation of contracts and procurement matters for a pilot program with 15 Virginia school districts to deploy 50 electric school buses with V2G (“vehicle-to-grid”) technology, replacing old diesel buses in their fleets and preventing almost 3 million pounds of carbon emissions per year.
- Representation of developer in the project development and sale of a 400 MW wind farm in Fisher County, Texas.
- Representation of a global renewable energy asset manager in acquiring 70% ownership rights of a 280 MW and a 285 MW development-stage solar projects in Mohave County, Arizona.
- Representation of solar developer in sale of six solar projects located in Oregon totaling approximately 65 MW.
- Representation of unregulated utility affiliate as acquirer in connection with the acquisition and development of a 60 MW solar PV project in Currituck County, North Carolina.
- Representation of solar developer in sale of two 20 MW solar projects located in Oregon.
- Representation of solar developer in sale of 20 MW solar project located in Connecticut.
- Representation of solar developer in sale of three solar projects (each totaling approximately 15 MW) in North Carolina.
- Represented a United Kingdom based entity in the acquisition of a U.S. based data management solution with offices in India and Ukraine.
- Represented oil field services manufacturing, fabrication, assembly and integration company in bolt-on acquisition of oilfield and marine drilling rig power control manufacturer.
- Representation of a global institutional investment management firm in its subsidiaries’ sale of a 66 MW development-stage wind project in Nebraska to a subsidiary of a Canadian public electricity power generator and marketing company.
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of International Law2013
- The College of William & MaryBA2010
Member, Association of Corporate Growth, Richmond Chapter
- Moderator, "Energy Storage in the Southeast—Meeting Reliability and Resilience Needs at Grid and DG Scales", Southeast Renewable Energy Summit, December 7, 2023
- Speaker, "Drafting Joint Venture Agreements: Deal Rationale, Partner Fit, Scope and Structure, Finances, Governance", Drafting Joint Venture Agreements Strafford Webinar, December 13, 2022
- Moderator, Offshore Wind Market Update and Supply-Chain Investment Opportunities, July 14, 2022
- Moderator, "Energy Storage in the Southeast—From Short Term Batteries to Long-Term Storage and Green Hydrogen", Southeast Renewable Energy Summit, November 17, 2021
- Speaker, Drafting Joint Venture Agreements: Deal Rationale, Partner Fit, Scope and Structure, Finances, Governance, Strafford Webinar, December 9, 2020
- Guest Lecturer, "Transactional Due Diligence", Energy Regulation and Policy course, University of Virginia School of Law, March 2, 2020
- Speaker, "Southeast Renewable Energy Policy, Procurement and Program Frameworks", Southeast Renewable Energy Summit, November 7-9, 2018
- Presenter, "Southeast Renewable Energy Policy", Southeast-Renewable-Energy-Summit, November 1, 2017
- Presenter, "Southeast Renewable Energy Policy, Program and Incentive Frameworks–Virginia", Southeast Renewable Energy Summit, November 2-4, 2016
- New York
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Corporate Law, 2022, 2023, 2024; Energy Law, 2022, 2023; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2024
Named to “Pro Bono Service Honor Roll,” Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2022
Named to “Virginia Legal Elite”, Business Law, Virginia Business Magazine, 2020
Recognized for outstanding work and dedicated pro bono service, New York State Courts Access to Justice Program, the New York County Lawyers’ Association and the New York State Bar Association, October 23, 2014
Pro Bono Honor Roll for Legal Services NYC, 2014
- Author, FERC Implements Generator Interconnection Process Reforms: Compliance Filings Due December 2023, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 7, 2023
- Author, Applications Open — White House Announces $20 Billion in Grant Competitions to Boost Clean Energy Projects, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 21, 2023
- Author, Inflation Reduction Act Creates New Tax Credit Opportunities for Energy Storage Projects, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 27, 2022
- Author, Commerce Department Releases Preliminary Findings on Chinese Solar Manufacturers’ Alleged Circumvention, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 5, 2022
- Author, Department of Commerce Issues Final Rule Imposing Tariff Moratorium for Solar Panels, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 16, 2022
- Author, White House Launches Federal-State Offshore Wind Partnership to Supercharge Production by 2030, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 29, 2022
- Author, President Biden Orders Tariff Exemption for Solar Panels, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 7, 2022
- Author, U.S. Department of Commerce Investigation of Solar Panel Imports Puts Solar Projects at Risk, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 15, 2022
- Author, Biden’s Path to Clean Energy: May 11 North Carolina Offshore Wind Lease Auction, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 29, 2022
- Author, Feeling the Heat: Solar Projects Face Rising Costs and Increased Uncertainty, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 14, 2022
- Author, President Biden’s Energy Policy: Early Executive Orders and Key Rapid Regulatory Changes, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 4, 2021
- Author, DOE Bans China-Connected Transactions in BPS Equipment Serving Critical Defense Facilities, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 5, 2021
- Author, Virginia Clean Economy Act Promises to Increase Development of Distributed Renewables, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 1, 2020
- Author, Department of Energy Speaks on Bulk-Power System Executive Order, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 17, 2020
- Author, President Trump Declares State of Emergency to Protect U.S. Power Grid, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 4, 2020
- Author, Utility-Scale Solar Expected to Weather COVID-19 Impacts, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 9, 2020
- Co-author, "Joint Ventures", U.S. Chapter of Lexology: Getting the Deal Through, December 2019
- Author, President Imposes Tariffs on Imported Solar Panels, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 24, 2018
- Author, ITC Makes Recommendations in Solar Trade Case, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 7, 2017
- Author, Suniva’s Solar Panel Trade Action and Its Impact on the Industry, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 20, 2017
- Author, Complementarity or Competition: The Effect of The ICC’s Admissibility Decision in Kenya on Complementarity and the Article 17(1) Inquiry, Rich J. Global L. & Bus, 2013