David is a partner in the firm’s M&A and Corporate Transactions Department. David personally focuses his practice on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate finance and commercial transactions.
He has represented a wide array of publicly traded and privately held companies in transactions involving international and domestic leveraged buy-outs, strategic joint ventures, recapitalizations, Section 363 asset acquisitions, private equity financings, secured and unsecured public and privately-placed senior, mezzanine and second-lien financings, commercial trade financings and letters of credit.
David’s experience also spans a number of industries, including transportation (aircraft, trucking & rail), software, chemicals, telecommunications, real estate investment, manufacturing, healthcare and pharmaceuticals.
David has been recognized for many years by Chambers USA as a North Carolina “Leading Lawyer” in Corporate/M&A.
David has been a past long-time member of the Board of Directors of the Mecklenburg Bar Foundation, serving for a number of years as its chair of development. He is involved in Business Law and International Law sections of the American Bar Association and the Association for Corporate Growth.
David has served as advisor to the North Carolina Center for Non-Profits and the Trust for Public Lands. In addition, David is OFAC Cuba license counsel for a number of non-profit groups.
- Representation of a commercial surface cleaning and treatment specialist in its sale to a leading industrial services contractor controlled by a Florida-based private equity firm.
- Representation of a Bermuda aircraft holdings company in its $120 million acquisition of a commercial aircraft portfolio from an Irish-based aircraft leasing company.
- Representation of a Bermuda aircraft holdings company in connection with its equity and debt recapitalization and listing of $248 million debt on the Irish Stock Exchange.
- Representation of Chinese-owned specialized food production and distribution company in connection with its $2 billion recapitalization of ownership held by entities domiciled in Poland, Malta and Cayman Islands.
- Represented pharmaceuticals company in national expansion through acquisition of both solvent operations and assets under Chapter 11 and subsequent recapitalization with Fortune 100 equity fund and major mezzanine fund.
- Represented broadband provider in restructuring and issuance of multiple series of equity and debt in expansion financing and subsequent recapitalization financing.
- Represented equity sponsor in acquisition of industrial chemicals manufacturing division of a Fortune 500 company.
- Represented transportation and logistics company in recapitalization with and minority investment by publicly traded equity fund.
- Represented equity sponsor in acquisition of plastics manufacturer, with subsequent add-on acquisitions and change in control transaction with private equity fund.
- Represented private equity fund in the formation of a joint venture acquiring rights to foreign manufacture of branded merchandise and market nationally branded apparel and toy products.
- Represented private equity fund in the restructure and buy-out of controlling interest in joint venture and negotiation of complex multi-party licensing agreement concerning nationally branded merchandise.
- Represented privately-held industrial manufacturer in acquisition of mining products manufacturing division from Fortune 500 company and subsequent sale to private equity investor.
- Represented health care products manufacturer in acquisition of manufacturing operations from domestic and foreign sellers.
- Represented industrial packaging company in Section 363 purchase of assets from Chapter 11 Debtor.
- Represented equity sponsor in purchaser of industrial finishing operation from a publicly traded company.
- Represented industrial design firm for nuclear power industry in structuring foreign operations concerning Eurasian construction project.
- Represented publicly traded food products company in a Section 363 acquisition of manufacturing operations and related brands from Chapter 11 Debtor.
- Represented Middle Eastern manufacturing conglomerate in acquisition of manufacturing operations from investment bank portfolio.
- Represented private textile manufacturer in acquisition of foreign-owned manufacturing company and Central American manufacturing operations.
- Represented European manufacturer of packaging materials in joint venture for manufacturing operations in the US.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in joint venture with publicly-traded technology company for formation of new wireless communications platform.
- North Carolina
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Named the “Lawyer of the Year,” Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Charlotte, The Best Lawyers in America, 2022, 2024
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte, Construction Law, 2009-2024; Corporate Law, 2024; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2019-2024; Venture Capital Law, 2023, 2024; Woodward/White, Inc.
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Transport: Aviation and Air Travel – Finance, 2021, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A, North Carolina, Chambers USA, 2007-2023
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” Asset Financing And Leasing, 2017; M&A: Middle-Market , 2018; Transport: Aviation and Air Travel: Finance, 2018; North Carolina, Legal 500 US
Selected for inclusion in “Leaders in the Law,” North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 2018
Named to “North Carolina Super Lawyers,” Business/Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2007-2013
Named to “Legal Elite,” Business North Carolina, 2002, 2010, 2011
Emory University School of LawJD
Board of Directors, Mecklenburg Bar Foundation
Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
Member, North Carolina Bar Association
Member, Association for Corporate Growth
Member, Financial Executives Institute
Member, Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
Advisor, North Carolina Center for Non-Profits, 2000–2008
Advisor, Trust for Public Lands, 2002–2008